Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

IMF TLS 50 II driver replacements
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2012, 04:29 AM   #11
jeffrey88 is offline jeffrey88  Canada
diyAudio Member

OK so I think I actually managed to find a pair of Peerless K040MRF midrange drivers in working order!

However, I have heard there are two different types of this driver and only one is correct for the TLS 50 II's? Can someone confirm this? I read somewhere that there is a "can" type and that is not the right kind for my IMF TLS 50 II's.

Thanks.
Old 10th May 2012, 05:32 AM   #12
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey88 View Post
I have heard there are two different types of this driver and only one is correct for the TLS 50 II's?
IMF TLS 50 II driver replacements-perrless-ko40-jpg

Pull one of your mids and if there is a cardboard tube in bhind, then you'd prefer to have the open back version. The canned version could be installed. I don't recall whether the can can be removed or whether it is part of the basket. Jerry at Falcon likely knows.

I still think a 2-way with something like FF85 is the way to go.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perrless-KO40.jpg (148.2 KB, 400 views)
Old 10th May 2012, 05:44 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I agree, but unfortunately I'm just not much of a handyman when it comes to doing that much of a modification. I'm not into hacking up the cabinets and changing the location of the drivers, I'd rather just put something better in place to fix the mismatched midrange drivers.
Old 10th May 2012, 02:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I pulled off one of the drivers and there is indeed a cardboard tube in there. I e-mailed the gentlemen with the drivers and they are the canned versions.

What could be my next option, besides rigging up the cabinets?
Old 12th May 2012, 02:57 AM   #15
Brisso57 is offline Brisso57  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A significant part of Jerry's business is keeping a lot of these vintage projects viable.

Here is the original TLS50 XO

dave

PS: i find the top on the aforementioned FF85 better than any of the little "audax" i have tried (many)
Don't know how similar the 80 XO was to the 50's, but this may be of interest:

4-way Crossovers Networks for Vintage IMF TLS80II (Kef, Celestion) Speakers ++ | eBay

cheers

Doug
Old 18th August 2012, 05:14 AM   #16
terje6 is offline terje6  Canada
diyAudio Member

I own a pair of the 50's and a pair of 40's. The pictures of the mids you are questioning look nothing like the ones in my 50's and 40's which are identical, which I can assure you are stock. I bought these speakers from the original owner, an elderly gentleman, the mids in the 40's need refoaming which also lead me to believe they are the original. I believe IMF may have used different drivers in the course of their evolution. I have noticed that particularly with the bass drivers I have seen pictures of.

I am a new member here, just joined. I was actually on the hunt for a pair of cole super tweets for my 50's, when I came across this thread. I know this thread is from May, but I could send pictures of the mids in mine sometime if that would help any...Terry
Old 18th August 2012, 06:12 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Terry,

Pictures? Yes please.

Quote:
The pictures of the mids you are questioning look nothing like the ones in my 50's and 40's which are identical, which I can assure you are stock
My recollections come from when we were selling these new at Sound Hounds. I always prefered the 50s.

Quote:
I believe IMF may have used different drivers in the course of their evolution
They have.

Quote:
I was actually on the hunt for a pair of cole super tweets for my 50s
You can buy those still brand new.

Drive Units

You'd probably need to get them from Jerry @ Falcon Acoustics in less than OEM quantities

Coles 4001G & Coles 4001K New Tweeter

dave
Old 19th August 2012, 06:27 AM   #18
terje6 is offline terje6  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, thanks so much for the links to coles super tweets, not sure of the problem yet, all i know so far is the the tweeter and the cole flashed out at the same time. So far I have pulled the tweeter. Back to the topic, here are a few pictures of the mids in question, I believe these are the original, new here hope this works. Pictures wouldn't upload something about a security token, anyways looks like a nice place to hang my hat.
Old 19th August 2012, 06:33 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you want, send me the pictures and i'll make them happen. eMails on any of my web sites.

dave
Old 15th September 2012, 04:37 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well it only took me about 5 months since I first bought them, but I finally got them back to pretty much original status.

When I bought them they had replaced super tweeters and replaced mirange drivers (as seen above). Well, I've sourced out original midrange drivers and also replaced the super tweeters with Coles 4001's (16ohm). Not only that, I discovered these came with upgraded crossovers. Check it out:

Click the image to open in full size.

And here's how they look with their parts replaced:

Click the image to open in full size.

I think I'm a little spoiled with having two sets of IMF transmission lines, especially an upgraded pair. If you are thinking that you need to use electrolytics with IMF crossovers, I'm thinking not. I was convinced that you need to replace with electrolytic but the sound out of these is remarkable with their current crossovers. Well worth the upgrade IMO, they sound magical!

IMF TLS 50 II driver replacementsHide this!Advertise here!