NO Baffle 3 way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI all,

As for my look around for my first DIY project and me living in Apt i had to look for something that requires minimal wood work so this came across

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...le-dipole-beyma-tpl-150-a-28.html#post1962447

this is my inspiration... so here are my three drivers i will use...

Sub

Mid
or

Tweeter

My reason to select all these three were totally on basis of...

If not best in good performance category.
And if tomorrow i am not able to get this working i can use this for other project e.g. Goldwood Sub can be used for h Frame MJK subwoofer and alpair can be used for Frugal horn .... and Ribbon can be mounted on top.. or can just do open baffle on alpair or fostex with ribbon below it ..

being total newbie i will not be going on route of active crossover so will stay on passive crossover...

I just want to know if this is a good idea to move forward....and what is the crossover frequencies i should be looking into these speakers ...

thanks for all the help...

being total newbie i will not be going on route of active crossover so will stay on passive crossover...

I just want to know if this is a good idea to move forward....and what is the crossover frequencies i should be looking into these speakers ...
Your choice of drivers is feasible. But you want to put the Goldwood into a H frame and you probably want a larger driver for the midrange than the Alpair 7. Doing it passive will make things really difficult. And you will be lost without the capability to measure frequency response.
This is my passive crossover for a similar baffleless three way system. And no - this is not stereo:

Attachments

• VisaSwing Weiche1.jpg
    VisaSwing Weiche1.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1,168
OB

Scott,

I've been running this route for quite sometime, and this supposes to be one of the most neutral sounding speakers I've heard to date. I started out with H frame then moved to just simply OB with different drivers. Below shows the route that I've been trying up to the moment. I did try the midrange with Alpair 12 which is 8", but the one with the 12" fullrange is the latest. Sound is full, rich and more neutral to my ears.

Albert

Attachments

• may7 1.JPG
    may7 1.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,137
  • may7 2.JPG
    may7 2.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 1,138
  • may7 3.JPG
    may7 3.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,111
  • may7 4.JPG
    may7 4.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 1,110
Your choice of drivers is feasible. But you want to put the Goldwood into a H frame and you probably want a larger driver for the midrange than the Alpair 7. Doing it passive will make things really difficult. And you will be lost without the capability to measure frequency response.
This is my passive crossover for a similar baffleless three way system. And no - this is not stereo:

So is there any budget Digital XO i can use rather then making a Active XO myself

Scott,

I've been running this route for quite sometime, and this supposes to be one of the most neutral sounding speakers I've heard to date. I started out with H frame then moved to just simply OB with different drivers. Below shows the route that I've been trying up to the moment. I did try the midrange with Alpair 12 which is 8", but the one with the 12" fullrange is the latest. Sound is full, rich and more neutral to my ears.

Albert

what is that 12" - looks like you enabled an Audio Nirvana ? (AlNiCo?)

want to confirm type of amp will affect too.. if it is a CLASS A amp or a simple class D 7 channel amp for cheap..

still reading about behringer ...my preamp doesnt have balanced output so i might have to get RCA ->XLR adapters..

Hm, I'd probably go with a run of the mill class A/B. If you have an existing power amplifier, you could just add a 5 channel perhaps, an Adcom or Emotiva or something like that.

Yeah, you'd have to have cables, I'd probably get or make rca -> xlr cables or get adapters for the back of the Benringer.

Hm, I'd probably go with a run of the mill class A/B. If you have an existing power amplifier, you could just add a 5 channel perhaps, an Adcom or Emotiva or something like that.

Yeah, you'd have to have cables, I'd probably get or make rca -> xlr cables or get adapters for the back of the Benringer.

I guess this would be the design

Classe ssp-300 -> RCA->XLR -> Behringer -> DIY open baffle 3 ways stereo speakers...

i guess there i can configure XO and this should work right?

You forgot the multichannel amp between the Behringer and the speakers.

Yes a min of 6 channel amp

Classe ssp-300 -> RCA->XLR -> Behringer ->6 channel amp ->DIY open baffle 3 ways stereo speakers

Am i right to assume this gives me versatility to have more DIY speaker later and i can use Behringer to test the speaker/ drivers...

so this solution provides me more versatility if tomorrow i want to change my drivers i just reconfigure the Behringer and according to my taste change the XO..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.