What's the best pair of speakers you've ever heard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rules:

1. You have to have really heard them

2. Attach a picture!

That's it :) It's okay if you haven't heard a lot of high-end speakers, I still want your opinion.

For me, I really really liked the Winds I heard at Totem's booth at CEDIA. They also had them going with a pair of their Tribe subwoofers. Really great sound.

Attachments

• Totem_Wind_3_Colors_crop2.jpg
    Totem_Wind_3_Colors_crop2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3,970
"Best" for what? All speakers have good and bad features and are suitable for different uses. Best sub is easy: Mine. Never heard better. No picture as they are bug ugly black boxes.

When I was first into stereo's as a kid, it was the Kef 104 that blew me away. I had only heard AR and JBL kinds of speakers until then. Best I had heard at that time. The only speaker that ever could actually have fooled me into believing what I heard was live were B&W 801's is a very special setup. "Best" could mean a speaker one could actually think about saving up for. Vanderstein 2ce would come to mind really quick. I heard a set of Watt/Puppies once. Not impressed. Theil, Snell, Martin Logan, Totem, etc. Lots of decent stuff out there. Again no pictures. Do your own searching if you want a pretty gallery. I build my own speakers, but have not been able to "best the best" yet. Getting there.

Hmmm.... we had a pair of early Snells in the studio lounge, but I preferred the URIE monitors in the control room. A few years later, I heard "Let it Bleed" on some Matrix 801's, and didn't really want to know the recording was so poor.

Lately, the best speakers I've heard are these, though it helps to be about 200 feet away for them to focus properly:

Attachments

• versarray212.jpg
    versarray212.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,799
The B&W 801s are very revealing.

I never really considered Peavey in the Hi-Fi league.

The point we all need to consider is 1). What are you listening to. 2). Where are you listening to it. 3). What amplification are you using.

I've been demo-ing some B&W 802D's they sound wonderful with my Pass Aleph 4 but sounded mediocre with the mono-blocks that the store had them hooked up to. (Sorry but I didn't make a note of the mono-block model number).

Last edited:
I never really considered Peavey in the Hi-Fi league.
They have four ribbon tweeters in wave guides, ten 2.5" mid drivers, and two 12" woofers. They sound more "hifi" than you might expect.

Thing is, I'm a musician, so speakers that can't reproduce music at realistic sound levels are a big fail for me. Coloration is normal, but I can't stand distortion. The beauty of the Versarrays, 801's, and the EV Sentry IVs I used to own, is that at reasonable listening levels there's no distortion or compression. And I don't need "flat" response to tell if Knopfler is playing a Strat or a Les Paul. ;)

MBL 101 Extreme or Focal Scala Grand Utopia. Heard them both at Audioconcept in Stockholm. Hopefully I'll go there again next weekend :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's the MBL setup I listented to. I didn't find any picture of the Focals but they're in the room you can see the door to in the picture. Acoustically treated room, sounded great in there :)

They have four ribbon tweeters in wave guides, ten 2.5" mid drivers, and two 12" woofers. They sound more "hifi" than you might expect.

Thing is, I'm a musician, so speakers that can't reproduce music at realistic sound levels are a big fail for me. Coloration is normal, but I can't stand distortion. The beauty of the Versarrays, 801's, and the EV Sentry IVs I used to own, is that at reasonable listening levels there's no distortion or compression. And I don't need "flat" response to tell if Knopfler is playing a Strat or a Les Paul. ;)

"No distortion" Yea right. Less than a lot of others, I'll buy that.

The last thing I want in my home is a studio monitor. The monitors job is to make what is wrong stand out so the engineer can fix it. Not what I want to listen to at home. Remember the L-100? May they rest(rot) in peace. If you are accustomed to a studio monitor, it may be more comfortable at home too. That is why there are several thousand different speakers built. Basically, they all stink, just some worse than others.

I don't need "flat" either, just a good job by the recording engineer!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.