What's the best pair of speakers you've ever heard? - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2012, 11:09 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy33 View Post
For accuracy I'd go with my Tannoy 636's with there dual drivers (concer thingy I forgot the name). The mid/highs are just amazing.

I'd chop my arm off for a pair of Tannoy 615's or 639's as these will have proper bass as well. I can only guess they are as perfect as one can get.
As much as I love Tannoys (and I must do as I own two pairs of 12" DualConcentrics) I'd very much prefer the larger, paper-coned drivers.
From the entire Tannoy back catalogue my choice would be either FSMs, 215DMTs, the legendary Dreadnoughts (all with 15" DualConcentrics + one or two 15" woofers) or may be the Buckingham Monitor (10"DC + two 12" woofers) but I couldn't list them as I haven't heard them personally.
Still regret not having bought a few S900 (12"DC + two 12" woofers) when I had the chance.
Tannoy btw is the only manufacturer I am aware of who used the same drivers for domestic, studio and PA speakers at times.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:16 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

I am told Lockwood Tannoys were the best . They don't look much . Klipsche Forte 2 does a good Tannoy impression . Even in image location . "Concer " jobs were GRF monitors ? Leslie Cowan was the other secret Tannoy man ( improved GRF for Tannoy ) .

Last edited by nigel pearson; 9th May 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:27 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
I am told Lockwood Tannoys were the best . They don't look much . Klipsche Forte 2 does a good Tannoy impression . Even in image location . Corner jobs were GRF monitors I think ? Leslie Cowan was the other secret Tannoy man .
From what I've been told the Lockwood Minors (12"DC) were pretty good but the Lockwood Majors had a tendency to let the woofer part bottom out.
They've been designed prior to Thiele & Small and the cabs main compartment is ported into a secondary band pass section. It appears that this configuration unloads the woofer, at times dangerously so.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:33 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Thiele & Small . Not sure about that . I reckon it has stifled some aspects of voicing a speaker .

Plywood is big again I am told . Latvian especailly . Spendor BC 1's . Wonder how they would do if simulated ? Early ones use animal glue and sounded better . I rebuilt two pairs with Spendor calibrated drivers . The old pair was better ( faster ) . That driver sounds great in open air . As do Tannoy I am told .

What became of Leak ?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...h=802&tbm=isch

Last edited by nigel pearson; 9th May 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:21 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
From what I've been told the Lockwood Minors (12"DC) were pretty good but the Lockwood Majors had a tendency to let the woofer part bottom out.......
---------------------
It looks like you are commenting on a speaker you have never actually heard.
Why?
Old 10th May 2012, 12:32 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
I've never heard a nice JBL.
...Then you owe it to yourself to hear some LSR6332s with the C500G midrange (one of the best midrange drivers in the world) and elliptical waveguide tweeter... up there with the Genelec 8260A as one of the finer dome tweeter studio monitors in the world. ...I hope you're not mixing up 1970s JBLs with modern Harman Kardon "JBL-branded" speakers.

Quote:
AFAIAC they are PA speakers, absolute rubbish.
Um, there's nothing inherently rubbish about a speaker that can do PA application. Yes, some PA speakers lack baffle step compensation and sound really shouty, and others have bad horn coloration, or very high crossover points between tweeter and midrange. But those are what they are - bad speakers. There's good PA speakers out there too.
Old 10th May 2012, 01:11 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

I heard several evolutions of Tannoy 15" Reds. These were ultimately triamped with 300b clones as my friend grew dissatisfied with the midrange where he brought in a Jbl compression driver with a custom horn. And later a Fostex Super tweeter for the top.
As these are thought to be the holy grail of audio wizardry by some, I learned an important lesson from his process:Audiophiles of a certain type are never satisfied.
Lastly, it may be useful to mention the music one listened to at the time the speakers were auditioned.In My case: Ahmad Jamal, Willy Nelson's cover of "Stardust", Kadee Lang's "smoke" album and various asian audiophile classics in Japanese and Chinese, names unknown but excellent reference recordings even if the music was a bit cheesey at times.
Old 10th May 2012, 01:46 AM   #108
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithTarragon View Post
---------------------
It looks like you are commenting on a speaker you have never actually heard.
Why?
yawn
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10th May 2012, 01:52 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Correction: KD Lang "Drag"
Old 10th May 2012, 02:04 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

I hope the DIY crowd gets a wider, affordable selection of coincident drivers to work with. I got to hear some Genelecs a few weeks ago and.......never experienced anything quite like that. I've got to find some time to check out the TADs but I fear I'll be comparing every thing I hear to them....and remain permanently disappointed.

Hide this!Advertise here!