why not Tractrix for Synergy/Unity horn ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read the white paper, and I read about the flare rate. But I'm not quite understanding why a Tractrix isn't an option other than perhaps the difficulty of making one and attaching drivers to the side of the curved surface. As far as I understand, which isn't very far ! - the Tractrix has less distortion for mid-hi's which is why it could be more desirable. Also, with a Tractrix, seems to me that you would have more lateral distance between the mounting of the compression driver and the mid drivers that may be desirable.

I've read the white paper, and I read about the flare rate. But I'm not quite understanding why a Tractrix isn't an option other than perhaps the difficulty of making one and attaching drivers to the side of the curved surface. As far as I understand, which isn't very far ! - the Tractrix has less distortion for mid-hi's which is why it could be more desirable. Also, with a Tractrix, seems to me that you would have more lateral distance between the mounting of the compression driver and the mid drivers that may be desirable.
A conical horn provides constant directivity, a Tractrix progressively narrows as frequency increases. Like a radial horn,the Tractix narrowing HF can help compensate for the falling HF response of many HF drivers, but the Unity requires an unusual crossover, incorporating HF compensation is perhaps the least unusual aspect.
If you prefer a "beamy" high frequency compared to lower frequencies, there are no great engineering hurdles to be overcome mounting off set mid drivers to a curved side surface.
Of course, that aspect would add another level of complexity to a build that is already "challenging".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.