WLM Stella clone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default WLM Stella clone

Here is a little project I have been working on over the past few weeks. Its a "clone" of the WLM Stella bookshelf speaker.

It uses the Visaton drivers W130S 5" mid-woofer and TW70 paper cone tweeter.

The tweeter has a fast rolloff below 1.4khz and 4th order acoustic slope can be achieved with just a capacitor. The W130S sounds very smooth and has good bass response for such a small woofer.

Some measurements to come shortly.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Interesting! The front panel is very ATC like.
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

very interesting! I dont much like the look of the tw70 plots though. Ive just finished sim of w130s8 and frs5x, and in the last 2 octaves it looks much flatter than tw70. I am very impressed by the frs5x. Instead of the w130s8 i have mission cp134 and cp168 to mate with the frs5x. Id be interested to see how those tweeters measure in room, since the frs5x performed better than a 9euro speaker should!
Old 4th May 2012, 05:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The TW70 has a few warts but it sounds better to me than measurements would suggest. It might have something to do with the forgiving nature of a paper tweeter?

I’ll take some off-axis measurements to see what happens to the dip at 10k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tw70 freq.JPG (55.3 KB, 444 views)
Old 4th May 2012, 01:06 PM   #5
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That's marvellous, samadhi!

I really didn't fancy the Stella with a simple crossover. FWIW, I think WLM use the 170S bass unit, but all is not lost...

I found the W130S had some serious issues that needed the full BBC monitor treatment for 7L closed box bookshelf.

I was quite pleased with this modelled result:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WLM_Stella_Clone_W130S.JPG (59.5 KB, 455 views)
Old 4th May 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks System 7,

The WLM site lists a 5" woofer for the Stella so i'm assuming the W130S is the one. The La Scala uses the larger 8" model. I dont think they have the 170S in their line up, but i could be wrong.

The response of the W130S is a bit ragged (Visaton's plot doesn't tell the whole story) but they sound smooth to my ears, even run full range they are not so offensive despite the bumps and breakup at 6khz. But you are right, they are best served with notch filters and some response shaping.

Its a different kind of speaker I guess, fun and "musical" and there's some magic in that tweeter, especially crossed low. I have a pair of ER18DXT as a reference which I really like, but I enjoy the flavour of these as well.

Last edited by samadhi; 4th May 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 4th May 2012, 04:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It does seem that the standmounter approach is the key to getting this to work on first order.

I just fiddled about with 30x20 12L reflex (same with closed box), which allows for a much bigger bafflestep coil than the bookshelf which interested me. That seems to get some rolloff on the bass, and reduce the bass breakup rubbish to acceptable levels, especially at 4 and 6 kHz. It's much smoother slightly off-axis too.

The Zobel is just harmless fun, and not really necessary here of course.

Last edited by system7; 4th May 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 5th May 2012, 11:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I must say I hadnt simmed the TW70 in Boxsim, but it looks very reasonable, only that rise before LF cutoff bothers me, which is why I hadnt considered it before.

The FRS5X sims a little better, BUT im sure the TW70 has a far greater dynamic capacity, and Im sure the FRS5X would run out of headroom far quicker. I should try and post my plots if not to OT or annoying lol.
Old 6th May 2012, 09:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Nice work System 7, better than my effort and probably close to the WLM crossover schematic.

Quote:
I should try and post my plots if not to OT or annoying lol.
Not at all, please post away, I am interested in the other visaton drivers.
Old 8th May 2012, 02:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

How does the tweeter sound, samadhi? Like a soft dome? I couldn't help noticing that keeping all the drivers paper seems to produce a nice synergy on some of the resonances. Interesting.

mondogenerator's FRSX 2" fullranger does look extremely useful as a tweeter/midrange with the W130S bass/mid. This nice overlap seemed to me to be saying series crossover!

Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories

It SIMS VERY nicely on second order. I've done a tiny bookshelf 7L + 1L closed box here, but you can do reflex with bigger bafflestep coils. Notice I've used the W130S 0.6mH voicecoil inductance as a component to make up to 1mH total, and given the tweeter an 8.2 ohm parallel resistor to keep it happy at Fs since it has high efficiency.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WLM_Stella_Clone_FRS5X8.JPG (21.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg WLM_Stella_Clone_FRS5X8_FResp.JPG (59.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg WLM_Stella_Clone_FRS5X8_Phase.JPG (79.3 KB, 69 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!