WLM Stella clone - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2012, 11:22 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How does the tweeter sound, samadhi? Like a soft dome? I couldn't help noticing that keeping all the drivers paper seems to produce a nice synergy on some of the resonances. Interesting.
Its sounds better than a soft dome to me in the lower treble frequencies, and the sound is cohesive, easy to blend with the woofer without much tweaking of the crossover. Though the upper end is less detailed and fairly directional. A tiny neo tweeter on top might make for an unusal but nice sounding little 3-way.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:13 AM   #12
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, I've got some good news on crossovers, samadhi. The FRS5X8 is slightly superior on directivity due to it's little hard dome at the centre, but actually doesn't sim as well on the simple series crossover here, though it works without component changes. And series is what WLM must be using on the Stella since nothing else works as well!

Here it is for mounting against a wall. No standmounters from me! But I suspect it'll be VERY GOOD!

FWIW, I found the bigger La Scala worked very well with an AR-SXO crossover. A mere 3 components including the resistor across the bass. But then the W200S is a different animal from the trickier W130S with its horrible 1400Hz peak, which kinda gets cancelled out her in phaseyness.
Old 9th May 2012, 08:32 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

This is great!
Did you BTW ever finish the "Scala" version you were contemplating, Steve?

/Claus
Old 9th May 2012, 11:30 AM   #14
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Well, I've got some good news on crossovers, samadhi. The FRS5X8 is slightly superior on directivity
If, as I suspect, you mean that it is wide up to a higher frequency then I might throw my 2c in to the other ring. A narrowing dispersion will help with clarity, with the tradeoff being a narrow sweet spot. To me this is the benefit of using a cone tweeter.
Old 27th September 2012, 07:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,
I would like to make this loudspeaker, but with bass reflex on the front panel, or down (like stand version) Can someone help me with box project?
Old 18th November 2012, 01:14 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi View Post
Here is a little project I have been working on over the past few weeks. Its a "clone" of the WLM Stella bookshelf speaker.

It uses the Visaton drivers W130S 5" mid-woofer and TW70 paper cone tweeter.

The tweeter has a fast rolloff below 1.4khz and 4th order acoustic slope can be achieved with just a capacitor. The W130S sounds very smooth and has good bass response for such a small woofer.

Some measurements to come shortly.

Good approach for a good sounded loudspeaker and cheap to build loudspeaker at the same time.
Here a small listening report in German from a similar version:
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/index...hifi/ct246.htm
I don't understand this term:
It uses the Visaton drivers W130S 5" mid-woofer and TW70 paper cone tweeter.
Mean you the genuine device or the clone ?

In this case this threads could be of interest:
Ultimate sounded Cone Tweeter Overview without Ferrofluid wanted
Does anyone know of a good paper tweeter?

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 18th November 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 18th November 2012, 01:37 PM   #17
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Having modelled the WLM clones in Boxsim, I can add that the Visaton 4" W100S and 6" W170S bass drivers are far easier than the W130S and W200S.

They don't have the peaks in frequency response that the WLM choices give when you filter them. A simple 2nd order bass, third order treble and padding for level on the TW70 just works nicely.

That's where I would go on a smallish speaker in this style.

Hide this!Advertise here!