El-Pipe-O (El-Pipe-Mino) ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(Should this now be under "Pass Labs" or "Speakers" :scratch: )

Anyway. I am very interested in building the small El-Pipe-O with 8" drivers. The only driver I can find locally (from the Farnell agents - Mantech) , is the MCM #55-1195.

1) Will this driver do a good job for this design?
2) Will Aleph30 be able to drive enough to do the job?

Thanx for all.

See WinISD info:

Attachments

• mcm-55-1195.jpg
    mcm-55-1195.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,924
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You might try some 8 inch diameter tubing at a length
which goes to about 6 inches from your ceiling (assuming you
have an ordinary ceiling). I did one with a Vifa 8" and was
very pleased with the result. The curve, of course, will not
resemble yours very much, but it will kick butt.

An Aleph 30 will do the job if the butt to be kicked is
ordinary size.

El-Pipe-Mino progress

I eventually got some 8" drivers and my pipes. Build them this morning but not enough time to test, work afternoon shift. The 2 drivers which I am going to test are:

................................P..Qts..Vas..fs
1) MCM 55-1190... 70W 0.54 2.3 31Hz
2) MCM 55-1240... 45 0.74 2.2 37

For 1) my pipe length must be 2.4m and for 2) about 2m. The 2.4m is abit high for my ceiling, so will use 2m in both cases. Will have to listen to results for an opinion if this will work good enough. I used a 8" paper pipe and bobben (spool) used for stitching wire on book press. The pipe fit just snuggly into bobben and the bobben's side end, acts as a good stable foot for the pipe.

Here are some pics for now:

Attachments

• pipe-o.jpg
    pipe-o.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,619
Have been looking for those Yellow sewage pipes. The're made of PVC-HD and have a diameter of 35 cm, 'couse the're standard, you can allso buy 90deg. knees. Put 2 of them together with matched tubelengths and one has a folded El-Pipe-o. Now I am figuring out how to compensate for the lack of ceeling-effect (if there is any)...

el-pipe-o question for Mr. Pass.

Hi.

I will be build a Tline with sonotube or PVC drain pipe.
I look some Tline with this arrangement in the web, and I´m
learning the maths about this design.
And I can´t understand how el-pipe-o have 2 x 21" speakers and the sonotube only 24" of diameter and sound correctly.
If I don´t wrong or have a mistake, the sonotube should be 42" (the double of the speaker diameter, if you put 2 of this).
May be I wrong, for this is the present question : How you calculate the dimensions ?

Many thanks and cheers.

Ernesto.

Re: El-Pipe-O (El-Pipe-Mino) ???

mrfeedback said:
El-Commode-O !!!!

Eric.

Ahh yes, the search for the ellusive "Brown" Note!

I found the brown note once. we put four servo-drive subs in a stretch limo chevy van powered by Two crest 4001 power amplifiers.

All it took was one full power sweep of the signal generator downword and somewhere around 16-30 hz (couldnt see the numbers as my vision was blurred) the brown note was discovered! :gasp:

Zc

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: el-pipe-o question for Mr. Pass.

Ernesto said:
And I can´t understand how el-pipe-o have 2 x 21" speakers and the sonotube only 24" of diameter and sound correctly.

We worked with the materials we had. Ordinarily you think of
having a tube cross-section comparable to the moving area of
the loudspeaker, which would come out around maybe 28 inches
across on the pipe. 24 is what they sell. It's not real critical.

:cool:

Hi Nelson and others
Could anyone tell me what length of 12" sonotube I would need to build an El Pipo with my Shiva Mark IV? If I understand correctly, since Shiva has an Fs of about 21Hz, I would need a 13 foot long pipe to be at 1/4 wavelength. I have already built a stereo pair of T-lines shown below, but they are only about 7 feet long. Can anyone tell me how to calculate what the response should be with that length?
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• chris' system.jpg
    chris' system.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 400
Greets!

FWIW, for audio purposes altitude per se has no bearing on the SoS, it's the temp changes that affects it, and unless you keep your house fairly cool the SoS is closer to ~13,560".

Also, pipes have end correction factors based on the boundary conditions of the terminus, so for a ~free space loading 12" i.d. pipe like the 'El Pipe O' you would add 6"*0.613 = 3.678" to 84" to get it closer to correct, or ~38.66 Hz, though if the driver is in a box there's another end correction that will further lower it.

For aneochoic vented F3:

a = Vas/Vb

F3 = Fb*a^0.13

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.