help with adding a subwoofer to a pair a 2-way speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

I've got a pair of 2-way speakers with crossovers inside and a passive sub with a low pass filter at 120hz. I want to wire the sub in parallel with the speakers. can i add a capacitor in series with each of the speakers to make a high pass filter so that they cross over with the sub nicely?

also, can i somehow feed my sub a mix of both left and right outputs of my amp?

many thanks,
matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one stereo amp, a pair of 2-way speakers with crossovers inside and a passive sub with a low pass filter at 120hz. i want to wire the sub in parallel with the speakers.

can i add a capacitor in series with each of the speakers to make a high pass filter so that they cross over with the sub nicely?

I would not recommend it passively, especially at that frequency. You'd be better off just plugging the vent and running the main full range. But in parallel you might have insufficient current to drive this pseudo 3-way.

Why not get a cheap active crossover - like miniDSP. This is one of those cases where bi-amping is very justified.

Attachments

• tabula_w.gif
    tabula_w.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 422
Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

I would not recommend it passively, especially at that frequency. You'd be better off just plugging the vent and running the main full range. But in parallel you might have insufficient current to drive this pseudo 3-way.

what problems would be caused by my amp not being able to supply the current? i would have thought that it would only limit SPLs when my amp is reaching its limits? also the speakers don't have a port so i would need some other way of rolling off the bass. i appreciate the idea about going active and would love to do it but i want to keep the costs down. i've another system I'm currently setting up which will have an active crossover.

thanks for the crossover diagram, inductor. it looks ideal. i assume it will sum each channel to the subwoofer while also providing a low pass filter?

will it be ok to add the high pass filters in front of the 2-way crossovers that i've already got?

also would you or anyone be willing to help me with the maths in order to determine the values of the components?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Adding a passive crossover to high-pass a woofer at a low frequency is not simple. It can make things worse, so is better when designed from measurements.

Fortunately it is not always the best thing to do in this situation. It can be better to leave the mains running full range when adding the subs. Subs also require careful placement into your room.

If your main speakers and each sub are rated at 8 ohms and your amp rated to handle 4 ohms (all of which are common) then you should be OK. Although it may be possible to go beyond such limits with care, at the least you risk blowing fuses which should indicate that this is not advisable.

I plan on driving the sub on my 2.1 system with it's own dedicated amplifier, actually a l4780 in bridged mode since the sub is 8Ω. Now my question is, there will be an active filter to cut off the sub's high frequencies, would I be more satisfied with also cutting the satellite's low frequencies or is this not necessary, and if I do such should I flip the polarity of the sub?

will it be ok to add the high pass filters in front of the 2-way crossovers that i've already got?
No, because it will change/interact with the passive crossover. Good that you know it's not advisable.
also would you or anyone be willing to help me with the maths in order to determine the values of the components?
Better I make another suggestion, choose one.
1. Using a 2.1 amp system.
2. Using two woofers or lower sub drivers (instead of one) one for each channel with a passive crossover.
3. Using two full range speakers for stereo.:cool:

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the reply. I measured the DC resistance of the sub driver and it's exactly 4ohms. The DC resistance of each 2-way speaker is 4.6ohms including the crossover. What other measurements would I need to make in order to design a workable passive crossover like Inductor suggested.

I don't want to run the 2-way speakers full range because I want the sub to take some of the work away from what will become the mid-range woofers amd hopefully they will play the mid-range better.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You're at a place where the changes you want will lead to other changes and there are several options you can go with. Most of these changes will be based more on what is convenient rather than any major audible advantage.

I don't want to run the 2-way speakers full range because I want the sub to take some of the work away from what will become the mid-range woofers amd hopefully they will play the mid-range better.
There are other compromises you are looking at making here that are more significant than this, is it actually a problem? If so I suppose I might look at changing the box to increase power handling or I'd preferrably filter the lowest bass at the amp and get another amp for the subs.

What is the impedance of your full range speaker and your sub?

If, they are not both 8 ohms, you could harm your amp at higher volumes unless it can drive <4 ohm load, which most cant.

You might consider getting a separate amp to power the subs

Subwoofer Amplifiers, Plate Amplifiers, Home Audio/Video Subwoofer Amplifiers, Powered Subwoofer Amplifiers Perfect for Building Your Own Powered Subwoofer.

Dayton plate amps are pretty cheap. $50 for a 70W unit. Crossover built in. Easy no fuss solution.

If, they are not both 8 ohms, you could harm your amp at higher volumes unless it can drive <4 ohm load, which most cant.

You might consider getting a separate amp to power the subs

Subwoofer Amplifiers, Plate Amplifiers, Home Audio/Video Subwoofer Amplifiers, Powered Subwoofer Amplifiers Perfect for Building Your Own Powered Subwoofer.

Dayton plate amps are pretty cheap. $50 for a 70W unit. Crossover built in. Easy no fuss solution.
Jim, making sure it has a voltage selector for UK.
Electrical wiring in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• voltage selector.png
    voltage selector.png
    23 KB · Views: 148

The 2-way speakers have a dc resistance of 4.6ohm and the sub is 4ohm.

how about taking a series feed from each speaker output channel and summing them before sending it to a low-pass filter and then the sub? That way surely the impedience will be greater and will not draw too much current?

The 2-way speakers have a dc resistance of 4.6ohm and the sub is 4ohm.

how about taking a series feed from each speaker output channel and summing them before sending it to a low-pass filter and then the sub? That way surely the impedience will be greater and will not draw too much current?

Most 8 ohm speakers have a DC resistance of 6-6.5 ohms, 4 ohm speakers half that. Sounds like your sub and 2 way are around 6 ohm speakers. In parallel, that would present a 3 ohm load to your amp.

Unless your amp is rated to drive 3 ohm loads, I would advise strongly against merely running them in parallel. ( i realize your not saying you were planning to do this, just saying)

I dont follow what you mean by "summing speaker outputs"

Last edited:
One of the biggest problems with the passive crossover is that in using quality components, you will likely spend quite a bit of the way to buying a dedicated sub amp and thats if you get the crossover frequency right. You are proposing a 120hz point but it may not be optimum and the slope of it definitely wont be.

Using a dedicated plate amp such as those available from parts express allows you to have a steeper slope, adjustable/variable frequency, and adjust level matching by taste and program material. You eliminate the risk of messing up the interaction with the 2 way's passive crossover too.

The have units that are 150 bucks to 320 bucks with 1000watts Class AB. Just a good set of inductors will be 1/2 way to a 150 watt sub amp. Im sure European distributers have plate amps in the under 200 range you need. A first order passive crossover is likely to cross the 100 dollar mark if you guess right with frequency but way more if you dont.

Good luck with your project. Better bass improves everything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.