audible crossover points? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2012, 02:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default audible crossover points?

i decided to plot my current speakers frequency plots using a frequency sweep. is it normal to hear the crossover points as the frequency raises? there's quite a distinct drop in volume and an audible shift in the relative position the sound is coming from.
Old 1st May 2012, 03:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do your plotting and you will see what you are hearing.
Old 1st May 2012, 03:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Shouldn't it be like that , as you described ?
the more ways the speaker have , the more efficiency gain . They sum their acoustical outputs . Indeed , they play alltogether
Old 1st May 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

I won't recommend judging speakers by ear like that. Playing the same frequency sweep over and over sounds different to me every time.

My speakers measure very flat but the frequency sweep sounds extremely uneven to my ears. I'm either tone deaf or it has to do with how sound interacts with my room. Fortunately measurement software provides the tools to handle some of latter.

Are you measuring inside your house or outside?
Old 1st May 2012, 03:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris81 View Post
..... the frequency sweep sounds extremely uneven to my ears.
Here's why.

Fletcher?Munson curves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 1st May 2012, 03:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
i decided to plot my current speakers frequency plots using a frequency sweep. is it normal to hear the crossover points as the frequency raises? there's quite a distinct drop in volume and an audible shift in the relative position the sound is coming from.
You would hope that the crossover points were fairly invisible, that the transitions were seamless, but it depends on how good the crossvers really are.

If you hear a distinct drop in level at the crossover that sounds like a crossover hole. You might try some different listening angles relative to the speaker and see if the hole fills in at other positions.

Its fairly normal for the location of the sound to change. It is, after all, coming from one unit below crossover and a different unit above. Hopefully, from your normal listening position, you don't perceive the multiple units as distinct and seperate sources (that is the goal!).

David S.
Old 1st May 2012, 04:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

they're rubbish speakers (i have realised this recently). it just explains now why certain parts of music or speech etc seem completely invisible compared to other parts which then come screaming at me 10x louder.

thanks for the replies.

Hide this!Advertise here!