audible crossover points?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I won't recommend judging speakers by ear like that. Playing the same frequency sweep over and over sounds different to me every time.

My speakers measure very flat but the frequency sweep sounds extremely uneven to my ears. I'm either tone deaf or it has to do with how sound interacts with my room. Fortunately measurement software provides the tools to handle some of latter.

Are you measuring inside your house or outside?

i decided to plot my current speakers frequency plots using a frequency sweep. is it normal to hear the crossover points as the frequency raises? there's quite a distinct drop in volume and an audible shift in the relative position the sound is coming from.

You would hope that the crossover points were fairly invisible, that the transitions were seamless, but it depends on how good the crossvers really are.

If you hear a distinct drop in level at the crossover that sounds like a crossover hole. You might try some different listening angles relative to the speaker and see if the hole fills in at other positions.

Its fairly normal for the location of the sound to change. It is, after all, coming from one unit below crossover and a different unit above. Hopefully, from your normal listening position, you don't perceive the multiple units as distinct and seperate sources (that is the goal!).

David S.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.