What does the crossover do differently when you bi-wire? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2012, 12:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What does the crossover do differently when you bi-wire?

It just occurred to me.

Biwire: put the bass signal on the woofer, the highs on the tweeter. All done. Each part of the speaker gets what it does best.

BUT.......is the crossover still in the picture? It can't tell you are biwiring. So how is a crossover designed for biwiring? It's getting the same signal if you single-wire, and use a jumper, as it does if you biwire. So at the speaker, biwiring = singlewiring.

But, biwiring does give you the advantage of sending the highs across the room on the high wire, and the lows across the room on the low wire, so there is less congestion and interference.

No, at the amp both wires are getting the same signal, so ALL the signal goes down the high wire and it all goes down the low wire. And when they get to the speaker, they go into the crossover exactly as they would if you single wire with a jumper.

So what the heck is biwiring about?

Thanks =]

Jim
Old 24th April 2012, 01:14 AM   #2
jim1961 is offline jim1961  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a EE explain it to me once (there are two in my family). But I dont remember his explanation well enough to pass it on. I can say that with my speakers, bi wiring has a notable effect. From what I remember, its not the crossover that accounts for this difference, it has something to do with fields generated by different frequencies over long stretches of wire. The couple inches within the amplifier, that wire just required to get to the output terminals wasnt sufficiently long to make any difference, but over 8 or 10 ft it does.
Old 24th April 2012, 01:23 AM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Not a blankety-blank thing sonically. The only "notable" effect is the bank notes in the wire salesman's pocket that used to be in yours. Go look for the 90% problem and leave the .0000001% alone.
Old 24th April 2012, 01:26 AM   #4
jim1961 is offline jim1961  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Not a blankety-blank thing sonically. The only "notable" effect is the bank notes in the wire salesman's pocket that used to be in yours. Go look for the 90% problem and leave the .0000001% alone.
If that is the case, then my ears can hear that.0000001% rather easily.
Old 24th April 2012, 01:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

By bi-wiring you are only doubling the amount of copper to your speakers. We could also argue about the effects of the brass jumpers between your high and low speaker inputs but that would get old fast.
Old 24th April 2012, 01:33 AM   #6
MCPete is offline MCPete  United States
diyAudio Member

Bi-wiring is very likely hocus-pocus. Speaker wiring left alone for a long period can result in corrosion at the connections and loose connectors. So when you go to bi-wire, the corrosion is gone and all of the connectors are tight, leading you to assume that the improvement is the result of bi-wiring.
Old 24th April 2012, 01:57 AM   #7
Lee1234 is offline Lee1234  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps a reduction in the back emf generated by the woofer? Less interaction between crossover elements by their being able to be separated farther apart than usual? But then they would take up more space which the Boss might not like. What would be a more optimal configuration is to have the crossover close to the amp. Crossover likes it better. Just ask it. You can hear a difference even with cheap wire. Whether the difference sounds good or bad depends on the system and implementation. I have found it sounds clearer. Never hurts to try it for the heck of it.
Old 24th April 2012, 02:06 AM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Theoretically it is difficult to make an argument for bi-wiring but if you notice a difference and you appreciate the difference, who is to argue?

Audio subjectivity goes much further than bi-wiring. Keep yourself happy, it's all that matters.
Old 24th April 2012, 02:08 AM   #10
Lee1234 is offline Lee1234  United States
diyAudio Member

You explained it much more clearly than I. Clearly-get it? Your articles are very informative.

Hide this!Advertise here!