Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2012, 05:43 AM   #11
shmb is offline shmb  Australia
diyAudio Member

No doubt in my mind bi-wiring makes a difference.
For me, it was most noticeable in the midrange/crossover region.

I did numerous tests years ago on more than one system, with another person present, and we both heard similar differences on both systems.
It seems to make bigger differences on longer runs too.

Since my speakers are diy, to convert them, I simply opened them up and separated the woofer and tweeter crossover sections and mounted them in either side of the box (overkill I know, but why not?) and connected them to seperate sets of terminal posts.

Re the opening post: My thinking is, (happy to be proven wrong) although as you mentioned the full range of frequencies travel down both wires, because of the passive crossovers there is only current/power draw at their relative frequency ranges, so each wire still does 'less' work.
I think this sort of was what the second poster was saying too?
As I said though, happy to be proven wrong on this one.

But there is definitely an audible difference.

Last edited by shmb; 24th April 2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 24th April 2012, 05:55 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I remember a friend of mine also made the same statement, that bi-wiring sounds a lot better than using the jumpers. When i visited him and tested his claims they were indeed true. After investigating into the matter we found out what was really going on. In single wire mode the wires were connected to the low pass filter using the screw. The jumpers were tightened with the exact same screw as the cable, so they did not make a good contact because of the cable, naturally when you connect wires to both filters this problem goes away.
Old 24th April 2012, 10:58 AM   #13
DavidL is offline DavidL  United States
diyAudio Member

Bi wiring does nothing. Those that claim they do need to do a better job at testing to determine what they did in detail. Like stated above,bad connections due to corrosion could be one cause.Also the simple expectation bias. Have a friend swap out the connections back and forth unsighted and unknown to yourself and see if you can pick out which is which.
Old 21st December 2012, 08:49 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

can I try and summerise some of the points just to see if I have the right idea or not. I'm trying to decide if it is worth making my speaker project biwireable or not.

In a single wired system. the signal passess through the speaker cable until it is split to the cross overs where high frequency is filtered out to the woofer and low frequency is filtered out to the tweeter.

In a biwired system it's exactly the same except the point where the circuit splits to send the signal to the woofer or tweeter happens at the amp end of the speaker cables.

The important part of this is that there is no feature in the circuit only sending high or low frequencies to the tweeter or woofer, seperating the signal... instead it is being blocked from where it isn't wanted. so theoretically if the speaker cable and connections are 100% perfect then biwiring and single wiring will sound exactly the same. So the advantage of biwiring then is that it is more forgiving on lower quality or guage cables. Because if you biwire the signal has twice as much cable to travel down to make it's way to the amp. If it is single wired then the signal squeezes down one wire until it is split up in the speaker. So people who can hear a difference by biwiring maybe hearing this due to freeing the signal up traveling along their cable rather than whats happening in the crossover.

Either use thicker higher quality speaker cable or biwire with regular stuff.

Please be aware I am not an expert, I am begginer trying to get a grasp of whats being said... I'm sure I'll be corrected if I've got the wrong idea.
Old 21st December 2012, 09:11 AM   #15
DrNick is offline DrNick  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Please note that if you have extra channels on your amp then you may be able to bi-amp speakers if they have seperate terminals for bass and treble. This is where each terminal is connected to a different channel on the amp.

This is electrically quite different, and likely to be better than bi-wiring (having two wires connected to the same channel on the amp). I have done this with an Arcam AVR-300, and I perceived a great improvement, but I have not tried getting a friend to help with blind testing it.
Old 21st December 2012, 09:18 AM   #16
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

you have bi-wire after the crossover ...thats where it's needed
Old 21st December 2012, 09:37 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Didn't you mean bi-AMP after the crossover ?!? :-) ;-)

Bi wiring does indeed make some electrical differences but whether they are audible or worth the try I can't tell - because I take things a step further and run fully active.

Regards

Charles
Old 21st December 2012, 10:54 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Here is a simulation of a bi-wired vs single wired 2nd order crossover. The difference is due to the effects of cable impedance. In both cases the cable impedance is exaggerated at 1 ohm for the position and 1 ohm for the negative sides.

Click the image to open in full size.

Now make the cable impedance 0.1 ohms and what do you think the difference will be? Audible?
Old 21st December 2012, 10:56 AM   #19
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_accurate View Post
Didn't you mean bi-AMP after the crossover ?!? :-) ;-)
no, ofcourse not
that would be active xo

it was meant as a joke
all multiways are bi-wired after the crossover
Old 21st December 2012, 11:04 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
no, ofcourse not
that would be active xo

it was meant as a joke
all multiways are bi-wired after the crossover
I disagree.
Mine are quad-wired after the crossover (and before the amps). ;-)

Hide this!Advertise here!