The Ultimate 8" Coax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Kipman, shame none of them use the DE250 CD. The neo does look interesting though.

Pano, yes unfortunately the 8" is a compromise in many respects (aren't pretty much all loudspeakers?), just looking for the best in its format. Unfortunately the form factor has already been chosen! (Not by me, I may add!)

Cheers,

I think there isn't any such animal. The 8" cone is too small to act as a proper horn/waveguide. They work, but the bigger coaxes work better.
An 8" co-axial cone/waveguide can be extended as a shallow wide angle horn to good effect as Danley does with the SH-100, or used at the apex of a 90 x 60 degree horn as in the SM-96. In the SM-96 the cone is used in an ofset horn configuration, and the co-ax HF driver directly drives the conical horn.

Both designs avoid many of the problems the "bigger, better" co-axial speakers have.

Art

An 8" co-axial cone/waveguide can be extended as a shallow wide angle horn to good effect as Danley does with the SH-100, or used at the apex of a 90 x 60 degree horn as in the SM-96. In the SM-96 the cone is used in an ofset horn configuration, and the co-ax HF driver directly drives the conical horn.

Both designs avoid many of the problems the "bigger, better" co-axial speakers have.

Art

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the SM-96 use the 5" BMS unit?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Beyma 8CX300Nd :D - coming soon hopefully.

Weltersy, will this actually have much of an effect? Surely the expansion is too rapid at the edge of the cone for any loading? Perhaps would help with space loading (4pi to 2pi shift) - reducing baffle step effects.

The expansion of the tested drivers so far is irregular at best - inside the pole piece it's nice and smooth until it gets to the, often straight, cone. :(

Thanks RockLeeEV.

Looks to be a phase-plugged dome rather than CD but worth looking into :)

Yes, correct. It is however a 1.5 inch dome rather than a 1 inch dome.

911KEFfig6.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.