diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Some of you designers should market your creations (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/210866-some-you-designers-should-market-your-creations.html)

SpinMonster 16th April 2012 12:07 PM

Some of you designers should market your creations

I just wanted to say that the wealth of info that you guys share here is of great value and judging from the high prices the high end audio industry pays for speakers that are poorly designed, I find it a shame that it isnt so easy to come up with a commercial endeavor to share your great designs.

Some of the high end designs measure so poorly and fetch 5 digits in cost.

just complimenting your work. feel free to comment on what you think commercial designs are targeting for a market and performance.

Turbon 16th April 2012 12:11 PM

Give it a shot SpinMonster - be our guest designer and let us understand, build and feel how your proposed elements are intended to rock us.

Brgds

aptquark 16th April 2012 12:21 PM

great idea...but so much competition. Plus, these peeps here are in it for the hobby and to help those with high asperations but low pocket money. You cant beat that no matter how you look at it.

Only bad thing for me visiting this site is that there are so many great designs...I have a hell of a time deciding what to build :)

Turbon 16th April 2012 12:31 PM

So, aptquark - we should just shut up and pay? Not my idea of this forum.

C'mon SpinMonster let's se what you got - don't care about the storm from bulvans or shops.

Brgds

system7 16th April 2012 12:46 PM

SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-8 6" Poly Cone Woofer?
SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-8 6" Poly Cone Woofer: Madisound Speaker Store

Oh yes. That is very nice. Biggish Vas at 38L for reflex, but really ticks every box. Vented magnet, copper pole piece and low inductance of 0.15mH (if you believe it!) all for $65. The 5" is nice too with a Vas of 17L.
SB Acoustics SB15MFC30-8 5" Poly Cone Woofer: Madisound Speaker Store

Thanks VERY MUCH. :cool:

Edit: and a high Qms of 4.9 too. Excellent. That means it doesn't store energy. What's not to like?

Turbon 16th April 2012 12:55 PM

Hoping SpinMonster gives us his ideas... In some form or another.

It's like spring...

Brgds

aptquark 16th April 2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbon (Post 2987289)
So, aptquark - we should just shut up and pay? Not my idea of this forum.

C'mon SpinMonster let's se what you got - don't care about the storm from bulvans or shops.

Brgds

How in the HELL did you come up with that conclusion based on my comment???

aptquark 16th April 2012 02:39 PM

Hey Spin..whats your take on underhung speakers? You mentioned D'app. design...is that similar to MTM?

speakerdoctor 16th April 2012 02:41 PM

Spinmonster could first consider offering his design to one of the retail DIYspeaker parts suppliers (i.e. Madisound, PE, etc..). Admittedly, some compromised may have to be made to accomodate those retailers product lines and driver choices, but at least it would be a low cost way to 'test the market' for a unique design.
Check out Madisound and Meniscusaudio in particular. A number of the kits offered there were developed by DIY'rs.
I had their interest for a while in my "Intimates" until they realized the driver's I had spec'd were in their 'old line' and they wanted to focus more on their more modern offerings. :-(

LafeEric 16th April 2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerdoctor (Post 2987424)
...I had their interest for a while in my "Intimates" until they realized the driver's I had spec'd were in their 'old line' and they wanted to focus more on their more modern offerings. :-(

I think this is a good example of the kind of challenge someone who wants to go into business faces.

Now, I am certainly not against anyone trying and wish anybody who wants to try the best of luck - but it is a VERY difficult undertaking, requiring a heaping helping of technical skill, marketing skill, business skill, business contacts, and capital! And even after all that, then the actual sales are completely out of one\'s hands, and let\'s fact it, even if you have the best design in the world, if it doesn\'t make a profit, then you\'re quickly out of business.

I have tremendous respect for someone willing to try, let alone someone able to actually make a living at it!