Some of you designers should market your creations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SpinMonster... YOU have nothing to appologize for - I behaved as a jerk. Now I am still sorry for that but the harm seems to be done. Now how do we get past this traumatizing event.

Brgds

Now, now, I cant have you making excuses for me when it is I who have dominated Jerkness. We can try internet counseling. Its like couples couseling but you never really meet. We share our inner most pain and work through by acknowledging the pain we have caused.

I go first: I'm so sorry for not understanding and ruining your fun. I understand that you are simply using me to lighten the moment with your friends and that its nothing personal. I will try not to ruin the moment in the future and try to be a better victim by understanding various cultural fun modes. I will also try to get some education regarding what makes a good midbass driver so as to not waste your time reading worthless info on budget drivers you have no use for.

I will also go for sensitiviy training and I will buy the book...Posting Worthless Threads for Dummies.

Am I improving?

I recall a thread recently (last month or two) started by some guy who wanted to start a company making speakers. He was all young and enthusiastic (and there's nothing wrong with that), then the old-timers pointed out all the aspects of a business that will make a failure or limit one's success. It's a fascinating thread.

If I had known 30-40 years ago what I now want to do, I would have gone for a business degree instead of an engineering degree, and learned this "fun" stuff part-time on my own, or worst case hired people to do the technical side of things. I'd be in a lot better position to turn an idea into a marketable product.

But for the direction this thread is going - what's the best recording of Kumbaya?

I hope it gets back on track.

A bit of history, slightly OT but I'll risk it...

For a long time the wife and me had a feeling that the Kanns didn't sound very good anymore. I bought a pair of Monitor Audio RS-1s to replace them. The wife was quite happy - they looked a whole lot better than the old Kanns...

So the Kanns found a new home in my shed. I pulled the baffles of and the left one seemed to be in good shape but the right speaker... A total disaster. There was a few mm's of rubber on two opposit sides holding it in place - after soldering the element away from the box it was silent - no sound from the tweeter. Must have bee a he*l of a party. I knifed my way in to the tweeter and found that the connection to the coil was off - soldered it into place and replaced the surrounding of the bass. Now I have vastly better sound in my shed than in the living quarters. They are ugly as h*ll, I really would like to do something about it since they are of a totally different breed than the MA's.

I have some photos about the surround/tweeter work if anyone would be interested.

Brgds

Last edited:
I recall a thread recently (last month or two) started by some guy who wanted to start a company making speakers. He was all young and enthusiastic (and there's nothing wrong with that), then the old-timers pointed out all the aspects of a business that will make a failure or limit one's success. It's a fascinating thread.

If I had known 30-40 years ago what I now want to do, I would have gone for a business degree instead of an engineering degree, and learned this "fun" stuff part-time on my own, or worst case hired people to do the technical side of things. I'd be in a lot better position to turn an idea into a marketable product.

But for the direction this thread is going - what's the best recording of Kumbaya?

Businesses are formed to make money. When you start out in any field, your name is the first thing you build. What it has to do with a speaker company is that young people want to make the best available right from the start. You cant be the new kid on the block selling a top dollar speaker and expect to have your name credited.

What's big dollar to most is not to us. A typical state of the art speaker will use a powered sub and a two way monitor. The average person coming into my house asks what I paid for the parts of one of my minimonitors and I tell them its 300 in parts and they freak out. I and most DIYers know that a 50 dollar tweeter with a 60 dollar midbass is middle of the row but they think its rediculous to pay that kind of money and still have crossovers and boxes to build. These people want a $300 dollar entire system so the idea of building the best there is with a $220 tweeter and $240 midbass is insane to them.

A profitable speaker company is what Henry Kloss did with cambridge soundworks. They are cheap 12 dollar tweeters and a 6 dollar midrange with a 20 dollar sub. Thats profit margin. Building a speaker thats 1000 in parts would need to sell for 3000 for profit and overhead. Only Sonus Faber can get away with selling a system for 15K that uses a Vifa (scan discovery) XT25.

A-hemmm ...

This is the opposite of the spirit of the forum
Specifically , it was OP general POW to go ahead
and let the talented emerge from the group

Why a specific brand ? And why a sub ? Isn't a sub the very primitive approach
to deciBel's and bum-bum ?

You can't describe the sound from a photo ..well , many of us may
(inquiring minds want to know ) discern from a photo the technical issues or how they have been overcome .

But ,how would you judge the entire system..in a room ?
That's the deal .:smash:

"OK, I'll change that to design me..."

Slow thinking... Help me to design or to get my hands on a design that sonically fits my Linn Kanns (should fit Ls3/5a as well).

AB-1 might be the answer but there might be better ideas today.

Why a specific brand? I got what I want from 60Hz to my hearing limit upwards and I'm very happy indeed with what I have. The boom-booms are what everyone is trying to sell but I don't want a boom-boom. Just an helper that goes a few 10's of Hz lower with the same sonic signature.

For the inquiring minds I will add the pictures in my next tread.

Judge the system?. I have had them for decades in the same room... Well, they were broken for some years - other things were more prioritized.

Brgds

Last edited:
OK, my endeavours with the Linn Kann...

1: I had cleaned the cone from rests of the old surrounding.
2: Glued the new surrounding - applied 40Hz thru an old signal generator to let it harden and center itself naturally.
3: Another glue drying view.
4: Done...
5: Tweeter internals.
6: Ready, ugly box with amazing SQ!

Brgds

Attachments

• 1_Cleaned.JPG
    1_Cleaned.JPG
    520.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 2_Glue_drying_1.JPG
    2_Glue_drying_1.JPG
    482 KB · Views: 148
  • 3_Glue_drying_2.JPG
    3_Glue_drying_2.JPG
    445.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 4_New_surrounding.JPG
    4_New_surrounding.JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 5_Tweeter.jpg
    5_Tweeter.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 6_Completed.JPG
    6_Completed.JPG
    472.7 KB · Views: 63
The fact is , that everyone has different 'priorities' and ,like Helmholtz himself said, different approach and expectations towards acoustics .
Same for the concept of 'beauty' .
But the results of many tests ,like the ones made by Fletcher and Munson ,then perfected ,are just statistics
and maybe the basis has itself some flaws ...
Indeed ,the subject may be studied grossly and comprehended , but when it arrives to the point of evaluating the humidity of air or bringing to evidence a page full of mathematical implications , it is a subtle...subject . still has to be focused in a right way
what are the purposes and what are the existing methods to arrive to solve them .
A little speaker on a stand is already a good point to observe what an audio reproduction system can give in terms of quality and also quantity , and if you're not obsessed by 130 dB at 50 Hz , because as ,H. Ford said , the less , the better :what isn't there , it's not gonna break!

So ,to return to the beginning of my post , what are the expectations you put when listening ?
I did mainly listened to Techno for over 10 years !
And that was some kind of test , like sines or pink noise ,
and going through the hobby I also discovered the difficulty to reproduce a piano , or a full orchestra , because the synth sounds are in another level as they
do not find a place on heart ( music of the spheres :confused::rolleyes: )and
are somehow 'far away' , but a violin , a piano ,a trumpet
are recognizable and have to be placed exactly where they are and no errors can be allowed.
Yes , but they 'were' in another moment in another place,and thanks to the media and the technique to reproduce it , we are able to make it happen .
OP spinmonster just asked why rely on what others have standardized and why don't we use our knowledge to make another step , in some other direction .
Ah ! These are my two way ,suspended with rubber bands !

Attachments

• dscn1714fc.jpg
    dscn1714fc.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 77
Why a specific brand ? And why a sub ? Isn't a sub the very primitive approach
to deciBel's and bum-bum ?

You can't describe the sound from a photo ..well , many of us may
(inquiring minds want to know ) discern from a photo the technical issues or how they have been overcome .

In answer to your question one must understand application for the system being designed and in this case maybe a picture would help understand what my system must do in terms of bass, spl and power handling while still maintaining a fair SQ.

I use 4 15" TC sounds LMSr's powered by 8100 watts and my satellites are active with 2000 to them. The home theater must be realistic to keep up with a 16 foot screen and 3d projector. accurate 40hz 2 ways arent going to fit the bill for me but I understand that is the goal for many. So yeah, boom boom or bum bum as you say it....lol.

As with many of you, I build my own enclosures and may be working with Lynn Olson on a sub project she is designing. She lives just north of me here in Colorado.

Anyway, the enclosures are 1" thick for the 4 foot tall sattelites with granite bases and the subs are 12 cubes and 1.5" thick everywhere. I fill the seams on the boxes with automotive glazing putty and apply an automotive paint finish by spay gun in a booth. These here arent painted yet as I keep changing aspects of the systems and Im too impatient to wait to get it all done before listening.

DSCN0811.jpg
DSCN0808.jpg

It seem to be the general theme of the public that a speaker system be modular for a home theater. I rarely ever hear of people going to buy a stereo pair these days. A visit to your local electronics (best Buy) store will tell the whole story. They sell complete systems for a stereo and the big sound rooms are geared toward multi-media. What sells is a small set of satellites and a hidden subwoofer. Wives are hard to convince for 400lb subs. Its easier if you have the system first and they find your spouse so when she starts to suggest small speakers, you can begin to fake heart issues and she backs off.

Now there's some tech advice you dont get often.

OK, my endeavours with the Linn Kann...

1: I had cleaned the cone from rests of the old surrounding.
2: Glued the new surrounding - applied 40Hz thru an old signal generator to let it harden and center itself naturally.
3: Another glue drying view.
4: Done...
5: Tweeter internals.
6: Ready, ugly box with amazing SQ!

Brgds

I can duplicate the parameters for that box and then you can put your drivers in the new enclosures and your wife would let them back in. They will be 21st century versions without the edge around the front and with all the science built into it.

Its free if you can pick them up but youre not from around here I think. It would probably cost me 30 bucks total to be competely finished. My peace offering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.