New forum member, new OB project - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2012, 03:42 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siruis815 View Post
On a side note: Anybody ever use compression drivers for Hifi use? Maybe a Selenium D220Ti w/ HL14-25 Waveguide setup? Also - what about pro-audio midbasses?
I would suggest:
BC DE250-8 (polyimide diaphragm, no metal, no break-up): B&C DE250-8 1" Polyimide Horn Driver 8 Ohm 2/3-Bolt 294-605
With SEOS: SEOS? Products DIY Sound Group
Midbass: AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.

(I use, BC DE250-8, SEOS-15 and AE LO15 in OB)

By the way > Nice woofers!!
Old 28th April 2012, 08:29 PM   #32
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
I use DE250 too, it is good driver for home use, but the cheaper selenium should be good too.. definately go with different horn - SEOS is nice, if you need cheaper go with 18sound XT1086. there are many nice 10" pro drivers that will work fine, I would definately consider this approach: El Cuerno
this could be nice 3way with well controled directivity
Old 28th April 2012, 11:20 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've looked at the Seos horns and the 18sound ones. Wish they were more circular such as the Autotech OS12?

Also - I just re-read one of the waveguide shootouts. Apparently, the Selenium 220Ti with the 10" Dayton waveguide = "impressive".
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th April 2012, 11:24 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Add'l - driver choices have been narrowed down to the B&C 10CL51 ($105) and the Celestion TF1020 ($70). Specs look fairly close with the Celestion a little smoother but with only 2mm excursion.
Old 29th April 2012, 08:39 AM   #35
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
from those two I would go with B&C. also I would not cross it higher than 1.5kHz so 18sound waveguide might be ideal..
I use autotech OS12 waveguide and it works fine, but I would probably get SEOS if I was doing it again
Old 29th April 2012, 03:34 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Just sent off payment to a fellow forum member for a pair of OS-12s. Also bought some materials for a better magnet mount system + baffles. We'll see how far I get today. Stay tuned
Old 7th May 2012, 11:51 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Okay baffles and new magnet mounting system is almost done - done enough to at least stand up and see what the differences are compared to the baffleless setup. Much more efficiency with the baffle. I think it also looks a bit better I'm happy so far.

The OS-12s are gorgeous. I'll be painting them black (they are currently white).

I'm going on vacation to Germany in a few weeks so progress will likely be slow. Next on the list is going to be the midrange and compression drivers along with gathering some caps, coils, and resistors to play with.

On to pics (and yes I know they are way too close to the wall - that will change)

Old 22nd June 2012, 09:42 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Mini update - this build is NOT dead! I've changed the FMOD filters to 30Hz lowpass (found out they were 50s about a month ago) - much better. I have the woofers playing all the way down (no highpass) - bass set to -2 on the receiver. Integration is even better with the 3-way OB.

The B&C mid is still on order - July 12th is the expected date. Waveguides are getting painted. The DE250 will be ordered before too long as well.

I worked out some of the crossover yesterday using the no measurements guide sticky. I'll post it up later and of course feel free to provide some feedback.

PS - I personally hate rap music, but VIC's song "Get Silly" certainly puts a smile on my face as far as low end extension goes!

PSS - I measured the voltage output of the EP2000 playing a 30Hz tone at a very respectable volume, a good ways above normal listening and WAY above what anyone should play at 6AM. I came up with ~15Vrms with my fluke multimeter. About 56 Watts per channel. Not too inefficient after all?

I may be able to downsize the amplifier if I get a line driver to up the input voltage - seems like I'm running out of gain. I have a ART Cleanbox Pro to convert from RCA to XLR, however it and the amp are almost maxed on their gain. Seems like I'm just using the voltage gain of a very powerful amplifier to achieve relatively low power levels (compared to what it's capable of).

To compound the potential problem, the B&C drivers are even more sensitive than the 3way I have now(~84dB) (96dB for the B&C mid and 108.5 for the compression tweeter). L-Pad's usually do down to ~-8dB? I'm still planning on using the Sony receiver to power the set. Thoughts?
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:31 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Here's my initial plan for the xover:
The initial 8R is to bring the system down ~6dB (unless I can solve the gain issue for the 21" woofers) with a new system Z of ~16ohms.

The crossover is set to about 1k @12dB/oct. I put in a -17dB L-pad for the tweeter (-12dB for its much higher efficiency and add'l -5db for baffle step/OB comp on the mid).

I put a -5dB baffle step at ~190Hz This *should* bring response flatter from there to the crossover frequency (if response will be close to EDGE OB predictions). This can be tweaked later.
The "other" solution would be to purchase the 2x4 minidsp (~100) and two Topping T amps (~75ea). From there I can do all the crossover and eqing I'd like. After all this is set, I can then come up with a "proper" passive setup.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crossover design.jpg (118.9 KB, 181 views)
Old 23rd June 2012, 01:04 AM   #40
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cool looking stuff! Would love to hear what you're doing. I'm also in NC.

Hide this!Advertise here!