New forum member, new OB project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2012, 09:59 AM   #11
zmyrna is offline zmyrna  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

and
any reasonable material at any reasonable thickness
won't prevent that baffle you plan to rattle like crazy.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:05 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm really not looking to assemble another 4way design as I have now. I was hoping a three way at most.

I just found a site that lists the AN12 with a qts of .488 - SA-CD.net - AUDIO NIRVANA FULL RANGES AT LOW PRICES - any confirmation on this?
Old 17th April 2012, 11:35 AM   #13
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
I would not use AN either. OTOH 21" bass are great choice.. You can use them with no baffle at all just hang them and you have no problem with rattling anything.. you can even build 2 way with them check StigEric's thread. 3 way with nice 8" mid and maybe back to back waveguided tweeters could be nice (check gainphile's web)
Old 17th April 2012, 02:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I remember seeing StigEric's build using the 21" beyma - a bit out of my price range

Why would you not use the AN? Lack of excursion?

I'm very unfamiliar with waveguides, but of course that could be an option. I'd have to research that some more. I'll be reading through StigEric's thread again and look through the gainphile website. Thank you.

Maybe this coming weekend I can rig up the 21s without baffles to test output.
Old 17th April 2012, 03:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I just did a quick edge simulation with and without a baffle for the MCMs.

24" width, 60" height - 100hz +3dB
70hz 0dB
40hz -4.5dB

baffleless - 100hz -1dB
70hz -4dB
40hz -9dB

Any particular 8" mid suggestions?
Old 17th April 2012, 04:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

egde does not give you complete picture.. it does not take speaker parameters into account.. there probably is more suitable software for simulating LF response but I have never try it. it will probably work quite well even without baffle, but you WILL NEED EQ.
I dont see the point why use 12" FR driver.. you can take your 21" bass up to 200~300Hz no problem where you can cross to 8" even to 6". and if you plan to use tweeter, 12"FR with wheezer does not make much sense - it is expensive, wheezer creates more problems than solves, directivity is compromised.. if I were you I would "copy" gainphiles mid-tweeter section.. seas 8" or some nice pro midwoofer + back to back tweeters to create dipole-like radiation.. If you are handy with tools you could manufacture full torus - check rudolphs directivity thread.. that would be nice
Old 17th April 2012, 04:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I will definitely play with the woofers when I get them in Wednesday night - well I won't be able to really do anything with them until the weekend as I'm out of town at the moment.

The main reason for using the 12" FR was that I've read that a larger driver will give a "fuller" sound - could just be a placebo effect. The tweeter is there just to handle the last octave or so where I would think 12" FR would really struggle - even 8 inchers.

I'll look closely at gainphiles mid-tweeter section and do some reading on the directivity thread.

Thanks!
Old 17th April 2012, 04:46 PM   #18
jim1961 is offline jim1961  United States
diyAudio Member

The main design upside of the AN full range drivers is the one point source idea, as I understand it. If you start adding drivers around the AN, it just seems that you are defeating their strength, and is turning into a conventional design with multiple drivers and the needed crossovers to go with them.
Old 18th April 2012, 03:52 PM   #19
zmyrna is offline zmyrna  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I did not suggest 4 way.
Rather 3 way plus sub
Yes, 12" FR will have some benefits (lower extension, dynamics, spl etc.)
But it will also have problems. Mainly beaming.
A 12" FR will pretty much limit you to horn tweeters (without a whizzer cone that is).
Most OB gurus suggest 8" FR.
You might get away with 8" 21" combo.
But one or two 12" in between would be even better
There are better dipole tweeter options out there than two domes back to back IMO.
Just run a forum search.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

of course there is NEO3 which should be nice dipole tweeter, but back to back WAVEGUIDED tweeters will go lower, allow more SPL and have better dispersion control in the top octave

Hide this!Advertise here!