Line array PT2C-8 Hivi silver flute help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am having trouble deciding on drivers for my line array project. I currently have 10 Dayton PT2C-8 and am planing on getting 6 more, 8 per speaker. I have been looking at a 4th order crossover at 2000hz and the designs with the HiVi M6N look good - I have also been playing around with a silver flute w17rc38-08 or better yet w17rc38-s08 .. the silver flute looks to out perform the HiVi in ever spec .. and the distortion level and breakup are better for the 2000hz crossover point.. The only down side is with F3, the HiVi plays lower in box. 8 vents in the back of the speakers with min acoustic stuff at back near ports.

I have been playing around with the idea of getting 2 of each set so i can do acoustic and mechanical specs on them and then optimize them and see what happens.

With a .46 cubic foot box i cant even get an F3 of 54hz with the silver flute which the manufacture states on the s model.

any insight or even other suggestions would be helpful .. my budget for woofers is about $45 each max ... given that this is a 2 way design - i would like to get the lower end down as much as i can in full space.. i have ideas for matching sub towers lol but those will come later.. the PT2C is a great tweeter and has been improved over the years since the yag .. i would have gone with the Neo8 but i already had these. i have also been looking at the GR research m-130 m165 and x models too..

:xmasman:Yes;....... Don't do it!

Cross the PT2C'sover at 2000Hz, that is.

While I just don't have enough info. to judge what type of audio person you are; Crossing these at 2k would be considered barbaric by most peoples standards.
I think the resonance on this tweeter is around 1650Hz and having seen some performance specs., I think the old rule of crossing over at minimum, twice the resonance, should be applied here. Even 3300Hz is tight, depending on how much power you are going to throw at them. They look real good above this point and in subjective listening, I bet they get harsh below this at any reasonable power level.
Power demand, increases four fold per octave; so the difference between 2000 and 3000Hz is double the power! This aspect is not one to forget, when it comes to power sensitive tweeters.

GM

Joined 2003
:xmasman:Yes;....... Don't do it!

Cross the PT2C'sover at 2000Hz, that is.

I think the old rule of crossing over at minimum, twice the resonance, should be applied here.

Agreed unless either > 6th order or be severely power limited to protect it down low.

Right, it's at least an octave/2nd order [> ~3.2 kHz], so 0.707x this for 4th order [> ~2.3 kHz] same as for a compression horn or sealed back tweeter, though Dayton recommends a little lower minimum at > 3 kHz.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.