Internal Wirng - Car Battery Power Cable - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2003, 11:52 AM   #1
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Internal Wirng - Car Battery Power Cable

I'm at the stage where I need to buy some cable do the internal wiring of my enclosure.

Something on the Maplin website caught my eye:
Car Battery Power Cable
"High quality OFC 4AWG copper cable made from 1050 strands of 0.16mm diameter copper"

Based on hearing of people using Cat5 for speaker cable for example, I was wondering whether this 'Car Battery Power Cable' is feasible/advantageous over (often expensive) cable branded as 'speaker cable', considering it's a lot more copper for the money (£4.98 a meter).

Worth considering? Or is there a fundamental difference between speaker cable and other cables?
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 3rd October 2003, 12:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

only valid if you are unmarried, or have a wife who doesn't minding the cobras on the floor.
Old 3rd October 2003, 01:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Internal Wirng - Car Battery Power Cable

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikash
"High quality OFC 4AWG copper cable made from 1050 strands of 0.16mm diameter copper" Worth considering?
What is your crossover inductor wound with? If it's anything less than wire of truly heroic proportions, then save your money for something that will actually make a difference.

Of course, if you simply *want* to have such nifty wire, go for it!
Old 3rd October 2003, 01:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Default Connector suggestion

Couldn’t find a photo, but if your headed in that direction Id suggest (factiously) these for your connectors. They are available for up to 4/0 cable at 600 amps:

http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/library/Section-F.pdf
Old 3rd October 2003, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
What is your crossover inductor wound with? If it's anything less than wire of truly heroic proportions
There is no crossover yet . It will (eventually) be on the outside of the enclosure.

Does your reasoning not apply to the wire gauge used in the voice coil too? I see a fat wire leading up to a driver and then see a thin strand that carries the signal from the driver posts to and around the former and wonder if this makes a difference when talking about cables?
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 3rd October 2003, 03:49 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

No matter what marketing hype or folks who just like to endlessly debate say, wire is wire and it's all about L-C-R and how it interacts with the amp, with the biggie being resistance (voltage drop), so if your wire run needs to be 4ga to keep VD vanishingly low (no audible power compression), then battery/welding cable wire is the next best thing to solid core. Otherwise, from a performance POV, it's a waste of money.

If you do need wire this big, then I recommend you bi- or tri-wire with the appropriate size solid core wire (preferably silver plated) for the mids/HF.

GM
Old 3rd October 2003, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
If you do need wire this big, then I recommend you bi- or tri-wire with the appropriate size solid core wire (preferably silver plated) for the mids/HF.
And what does the silver do? It sounds to me like copper plumbing pipe will do the trick.

Plumbing inside the speaker...hehe
Old 3rd October 2003, 07:40 PM   #8

I've just made a cable using Cat5e. It looks pretty cool

I measured the resistance at 0.2-0.3 Ohms over the ~1.2 meter cable. Does this seem high?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable.jpg (25.2 KB, 219 views)
Old 3rd October 2003, 09:25 PM   #9
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikash
I've just made a cable using Cat5e. It looks pretty cool

I measured the resistance at 0.2-0.3 Ohms over the ~1.2 meter cable. Does this seem high?
Sounds a bit high for that length, I just tested a handy bit of 10 gague copper wire (standard multistrand stuff) that was around 3m (10') long and it was ~.05-.1 Ohms
Old 3rd October 2003, 11:13 PM   #10

Hi Volenti,

Yeah, I thought so too. But after downloading the wire gauge calculator spreadsheet from TNT-Audio.com, the theoretical SPL loss is only 0.06db and damping factor = ~117. A helpful little spreadsheet.

I don't know what I'm looking for in the damping factor. A higher number the better I guess?

For comparisson, the 3m 10 AWG cable has SPL loss of 0.07 and DF = ~100. Not much different.

I'm guessing anything less than ~0.1db SPL loss is acceptable for a cable over its distance?

And another pic...I can't believe there's so much cat5e lying under my nose, and it never occured to me to try it...duh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable02.jpg (8.3 KB, 186 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!