Internal Wirng - Car Battery Power Cable - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2003, 02:18 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

A better idea is to use copper "buzzbar" , it's a bit expensive
though. You'll need to cut some slots in the rear of your
enclosures to pass the buzzbar's through. Around 6" x 1/2"
approx. These have the advantage of zero / immeasurable resistance over a long length & high current capability.

Regards
Andrew

TFPIC
Old 4th October 2003, 02:40 AM   #12
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Two comments :

1. Vikash, when you measured the resistance of your CAT5 cable did you remember to subtract out the resistance of the meters leads. Hook the positive to the negative lead and measure the meter's resistance (mine is 0.4 ohms) and subtract this value from the reading when measuring the CAT5 wire. I have made a similar set of speaker cables that are about 8 ft long and got a resistance less than 0.1 ohms (below what my DMM meter could measure) so I probably should have used my LCR meter.

2. To reinforce GM's point. If you look at the voice coil wire, it is probably tiny compared to all of the other wires in the signal path from the amp to the driver. The voice coil probably has 100 ft of wire or maybe even more (enough to produce an 8 ohm DC resitance, I'll let somebody else calculate the length). So ask yourself this question. At what point does an 8 ft speaker cable, and all of the crossover wiring, become as big a factor as this long length of very small voice coil wire. I consider this analogous to water flowing in a fire hose through a 10 ft long nozzle the diameter of a drinking straw. How important is the diameter of the fire hose?

In reality the speaker cable and the interconnects are important and can make a difference in the sound. My experience has been that as long as the DC resistance is kept very small, the differences in cables occur at the high frequencies where the wire/connectors can roll off the response. At these frequencies the cable can become inductive or capacitive and alter the sound of the system. But at some point you reach the level of diminishing return, I think car battery cable may be way out there on the curve.

Try the CAT5 wire as shown in the pictures, I was surprised at how much better it was compared to my more expensive cables (now shoved under the couch). Simple, cheap, easy to make, how much more could you ask for in a cable?
Old 4th October 2003, 12:20 PM   #13
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Martin,

No I didn't subtract the DMM's resistance. After doing so, I re-measured the cable resistance = ~0.01 Ohms. Thanks for pointing that out.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 4th October 2003, 02:07 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Solid vs. stranded conductor

Thorsten Loesch seems to make a coherent argument for the superiority of solid conductors over stranded in this article.

Hide this!Advertise here!