Loudspeaker Build Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

Last few month I've been doing some desk research and other prep work for building a new speaker. After considering all kind of configurations I've come up with a rather convential/classic 3-way system consisting of 1 larger woofer, mid and tweeter. The cabinet has sloping sidewalls to ease of the visual impact and ofcourse the benefit of less pronounced resonance around 1 frequency inside. It will be a bass-reflex system. Driver line-up: Scanspeak 26W/8867T00, 10F/8424G00 and Vifa XT25.

Attachments: Here a sketch of what the speaker will look like (but not 100%) and the first pieces of mdf cut....

Dimensions are around 110cm tall, 40cm deep and 45cm wide at the base.

As soon as some progress is made I'll post some more.

Attachments

• Accent - Render.jpg
    Accent - Render.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 816
  • cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:
Hi there,

Last few month I've been doing some desk research and other prep work for building a new speaker. After considering all kind of configurations I've come up with a rather convential/classic 3-way system consisting of 1 larger woofer, mid and tweeter. The cabinet has sloping sidewalls to ease of the visual impact and ofcourse the benefit of less pronounced resonance around 1 frequency inside. It will be a bass-reflex system. Driver line-up: Scanspeak 26W/8867T00, 10F/8424G00 and Vifa XT25.

Attachments: Here a sketch of what the speaker will look like (but not 100%) and the first pieces of mdf cut....

Dimensions are around 110cm tall, 40cm deep and 45cm wide at the base.

As soon as some progress is made I'll post some more.

lookin' cool so far- don't forget to brace the cab, and provide some edge termination (read- roundover or bevel on front baffle edges- bevel would look better in this design)

good choice of drivers , but why the very expensive woofer and the cheaper mid and tweet ?

I personally do not hear that much difference in tweeters that would warrant a more costly tweeter. That is also because of some hearing troubles that limit me here. The XT25 is more than adequate. I heard a few commercial designs that use a XT25 or derivate and they sounded good to me. There is also the reason that I wanted a tweeter with a small face plate so I can place it very close to the mid. Other options would have been SB Acoustics and Wavecor (and some more expensive Scan-Speak models).

I long leap-frogged between the more expensive revelator mid and this mid from the discovery range. Curiosity yielded me to try the 10F.

The 10F is a small speaker, so combined with a small tweeter it will (hopefully) expose some more point-source caracteristics.

The baffle will be bolted on (hence the cloth grille) if I decide the replace the 10F for something else it will be not too difficult and only require a new baffle.

Regarding the woofer I looked for something that could hit a f3 of 30hz in a 55 to 60ltr BR cabinet and have other favorable aspects like relative low cone mass.

lookin' cool so far- don't forget to brace the cab, and provide some edge termination (read- roundover or bevel on front baffle edges- bevel would look better in this design)

No worries, it will be braced :)

I used 'the edge' (and J. Bagby's spreadsheet) to simulate edge diffraction. I found that even with sharp edges I could limit the ripple within +- 1db by having the mid and tweet positioned towards the sides and somewhat lower on the baffle (I'll have to tilt the speaker a few degrees backwards to compensate for the little bit lower position on the baffle).

Last edited:
I'll change the actual construction of the mid/tweet cabinet tonight.

Got a brainwave. Instead of just using only the partial width of the main cabinet I'll let it sit across the full width of the main cabinet and will decrease the depth of the box a bit.

The pieces of board the create the top and bottom of the mid-tweet cabinet will run from side to side and act also as extra bracing.

With some extra pieces of mdf I'll give the inside of the mid-tweet cabinet an irregular shape.

Huib

damn..where's my 3D glasses for this one...

use the 'cross-your-eyes' technique.....

i see you got rid of the shadow...nice move (did you close your blinds?:D)

Nah, blinds were not closed, it was in the evening when I took the screenshot, hence no shadows ;-)

Seriously now.....

before someone remarks it: the mid cabinet is somewhat oversized for a ScanSpeak 10F, so there will be some extra walls inside to reduce the volume (and to create an irregular shape).

The main cabinet is a bit oversized so I nibbled a few liters of by making the external dimensions of the mid-cabinet bigger.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.