Loudspeaker Build Thread - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2012, 10:31 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
love the design. I've been thinking of the side panel 'legs' route but couldn't make it elegant. Your version with the angled bottom is sweet.

Just one thought - could you change the mid/tweet enclosure so the back of it is a sheet that fills the enclosure top to bottom, side to side and then cut circular holes in it to open up the air volume for the bass driver? It would then be a much stronger 'holey brace' (like Planet10 uses) AND the back of the mid/tweet enclosure (badly worded but I cant think of another way at the mo)

Last edited by JRKO; 23rd April 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:17 AM   #22
Hsmeets is offline Hsmeets  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Legs on the side don't work IMHO, it was also one of the alternatives I tried. Another option is to make a small central stand/foot. Maybe you like this even better (see attachment), this central stand/foot got me in doubt and I'm seriously considering it. It's visually less massive. In this design one has to move the BR pipes from the bottom to the back or front.

Creating the mid-cabinet as you described is certainly an option. However you must make sure that the cut-outs are big enough to prevent that the cut-outs + cavaties are starting to act as resonators (helmholtz).

There are many ways to construct the internal bracing. A such one can do the same also for the lower part of the cabinet too.

But as the sidewalls will be glued on to add and extra 18/22mm thinkness to the 22mm cabinet walls I judged that poles left-right-top-bottom-front-back should suffice for bracing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accent2 - Render.jpg (84.8 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by Hsmeets; 23rd April 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:33 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

you know i think its looks great on that stand too! especially hiding the vents.

I use a 'holey brace' to good effect in my fullranger project Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:29 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
you know i think its looks great on that stand too! especially hiding the vents.
The vents are projected into the bottom in the current design, a central stand would block them and when choosing to have a central stand one has to move to vents to somewhere else.

One other design version I looked at was the following: construct the stand from one sheet of MDF running from foot, bottom to the top, then have the 2 sides glued to it and inside the cabinet have enough cut outs to move air around. Vents can stay at the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accent3 - Render.jpg (71.2 KB, 245 views)
Old 23rd April 2012, 01:16 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

This design looks good, only 1 remark: I would try to move the bracing inside so it will follow the golden ratio, the way it is now you will have multiple sections with (almost) the same resonant frequency.
Old 24th April 2012, 12:00 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Actual building commenced last evening: drilled the vents, flared the edges of the vents with the router and glued the bottom pieces together. Next step is to glue the side- and toppanels (and probably the bottom too in one go).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ls2-dag1.jpg (405.3 KB, 232 views)
Old 25th April 2012, 09:37 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Glued some more yesterday evening. Starts to look like a cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ls2-dag2.jpg (455.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 25th April 2012, 09:45 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Loods really good Hsmeets!

Just a thought. How about you finish you side panels in preferred wood/paint and then use glass for the side/legs? It would no seem as big & dark as wood, protects the side panel finish and remains true to your original design
Old 25th April 2012, 10:44 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

thanks for the suggestion but I'm not very fond of glass furniture :-)
Old 25th April 2012, 11:01 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Thats cool - its gonna look great once its finished, nice to see someone using something other than a rectangle with baffle shaping

Hide this!Advertise here!