Dynaco A10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Based on several years of ownership, and a very distant memory of their performance, I'm guessing they had average sensitivity (86dB-ish) and could get down into the 50's (Hz) unassisted. They seemed to like the Quad 303 I had at the time, and easily absorbed the 45w/ch it produced.

The 3 sets of speakers I have now easily out-perform the A10's, so why not build a pair?

jeff

Based on several years of ownership, and a very distant memory of their performance, I'm guessing they had average sensitivity (86dB-ish) and could get down into the 50's (Hz) unassisted. They seemed to like the Quad 303 I had at the time, and easily absorbed the 45w/ch it produced.

The 3 sets of speakers I have now easily out-perform the A10's, so why not build a pair?

jeff

Thanks.. so they arent worth time effort to find a set?

Im also wondering why they are heavier than the A25 ?

http://soundt.18.forumer.com/uploads/soundt/post-12-1168637928.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.. so they arent worth time effort to find a set?

They weren't a "bad" sounding speaker, but finding a pair in good condition may not be that easy. You could certainly build new boxes if you found a pair with cabs in poor condition.

I think the A25's were more popular, as there always seems to be some for sale.

Im also wondering why they are heavier than the A25 ?

They are listed as 30lbs/pair, 15lbs each, so lighter than the bigger A25's.

jeff

Last edited:
You sound altogether undecided what to do here, Robcrx. I'd certainly have a go at fitting new 104mm tweeters and a better crossover to a Dynaco A-10, being one of those fun 11 Liter seventies designs. But wouldn't pay a lot of bucks for the dubious pleasure, and only if the woodwork and woofers are in reasonable condition. Like $30. :D

I certainly wouldn't pay $700 for an old KEF B110/T27 combo. Maybe go with that Jeff Bagby LS3/5A clone kit for a small speaker of monitor class if that is the sound you want. :cool:

You sound altogether undecided what to do here, Robcrx. I'd certainly have a go at fitting new 104mm tweeters and a better crossover to a Dynaco A-10, being one of those fun 11 Liter seventies designs. But wouldn't pay a lot of bucks for the dubious pleasure, and only if the woodwork and woofers are in reasonable condition. Like $30. :D

I certainly wouldn't pay $700 for an old KEF B110/T27 combo. Maybe go with that Jeff Bagby LS3/5A clone kit for a small speaker of monitor class if that is the sound you want. :cool:
Plus two.:cool:
I would add to the mix the Seas Prestige A26RE4 (H1411) 10" Paper Cone Seas Prestige A26RE4 (H1411) 10" Paper Cone: Madisound Speaker Store as a passive woofer pair later, in a separate box.:D

A-10

I prefer the A-10 to its big sibling since the A-25 with its leaky box and rolled off high end just doesn't surpass a proper 8" two way. Yes I mean AR-4x, my latest thrift store score: 5 bucks. In my largish shop, driven by a 5 dollar RS receiver, the Polk Monitor 10's just screech by comparison. Would love to find a Mac MA 230, which drove my Dynas back in the day. Don't ask about the room; you wouldn't believe it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.