B&W FST Midrange Driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default B&W FST Midrange Driver

I must admit that I have not been brave enough to venture into the wild World of DIY speaker production yet.

All the designs that I have looked at so far rely upon conventional foam/rubber/composite surround Bass/Mid drivers that use all manner of constructions for their magnets and their cones.

I'm sure that some of these designs can clearly compete and maybe surpass some of the Rolls Royces of the commercial sector.

My question is.... Where does the Fixed Surround FST driver of the B&W Nautilus and some of its decendants fit into the mix.

It doesn't seem to have filtered into the DIY World even though it is one of the selling points of the B&W series of speakers.

I did own a pair of B&W DM603s3's which I thought lacked mid-range. I've now got a pair of 804S's and their mid-range is absolutely stunning.
Old 10th April 2012, 06:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The surround in the B&W is fairly simple. Below the cone is a foam ring that is attached to the basket. The last say 3mm of the cone, the bit that bends over from the conical part, then rests on this ring and is glued in placed.

You can see photos of this in my gallery if you wish.

The driver itself has fantastic measured performance and as to your comment of the 603s 'lacking' mid-range, this could quite simply be due to the mids being slightly recessed. B&W do like to run the FST very 'full range' and this does tend to make the frequency response a little hot at the FSTs upper end.

There have been various iterations of the FST though, with the later ones having the, most likely superior, under-hung neo motors.
Old 10th April 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are you talking about the latest B&W FSTs or FSTs that are coming into the DIY World?

I'm going to get shouted at for this, but I'll say it anyway.

The Americans are fiercely American, they are brought up to believe that American is BEST. It might well be, I'm not going to argue.

I'm fiercely British and my Brother-in-Law introduced me to B&W and I just love them.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 10th April 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10th April 2012, 06:56 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The earliest FST driver I can recall is the Mordaunt Short Signifier midrange.

Probably not a good idea to sell an open backed FST driver to DIY.
Probably would be misused, misunderstood and complained about.

See Zaphs blog, june 2011 for some tests.

rgds, sreten.
Old 10th April 2012, 07:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Nautilus was a multi-throated tuned horn. No one of the drivers was ever open backed.

There was a thread about a Nautilus Clone but I suspect that the guy is so busy in his workshop that he hasnt had time to post an update recently.

I did babysit a pair of Nautilus a few years ago with 6 x Krell KSA500s. They were STUNNING.

But at 40000 each I would hope so. Luckilly my neighbor is 90 and as deaf as a post, she only complained about the vibration.

The 683 is open backed though !!!!!
Old 10th April 2012, 07:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
Are you talking about the latest B&W FSTs or FSTs that are coming into the DIY World?
The B&W FSTs.

I didn't know other normal DIY companies were producing FST drivers.
Old 10th April 2012, 07:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nor did I until SRETEN mentioned them.
Old 10th April 2012, 07:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Nautilus was a multi-throated tuned horn. No one of the drivers was ever open backed.

There was a thread about a Nautilus Clone but I suspect that the guy is so busy in his workshop that he hasnt had time to post an update recently.

I did babysit a pair of Nautilus a few years ago with 6 x Krell KSA500s. They were STUNNING.

But at 40000 each I would hope so. Luckilly my neighbor is 90 and as deaf as a post, she only complained about the vibration.

The 683 is open backed though !!!!!
Believe it or not I got into a conversation in a pub that I had never been into before and was talking about Hi-Fi.

This Saudi guy was getting really irate that his insurance company would not insure his car and his Hi-Fi while he was away for two months.

I didn't even know the guy but said that I would look after them for him as long as he paid my insurance premium.

He coughed up nearly 2000 and I had the Shells, the Krells and an Aston Martin Vantage for two months. BRILLIANT.

Well almost, some stupid cow ran into the Aston jumping a red light.

I almost got away with it, the car was being repaired when he returned.
Old 10th April 2012, 07:14 PM   #9
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

LOL!

I would imagine the big Krells with the B&W flagship would be pretty impressive. I'd love to "babysit" them as well for a little while, but unfortunately, I'm in middle America, the most expensive thing I'd be able to babysit would be a 20 year old Ford pickup.

As far as I know, if you really, really wanted to, you could probably purchase the FST midrange driver from B&W.

You might find this interesting:
B&W FST midrange... I've been given a pair
Old 10th April 2012, 07:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
LOL!

I would imagine the big Krells with the B&W flagship would be pretty impressive. I'd love to "babysit" them as well for a little while, but unfortunately, I'm in middle America, the most expensive thing I'd be able to babysit would be a 20 year old Ford pickup.

As far as I know, if you really, really wanted to, you could probably purchase the FST midrange driver from B&W.

You might find this interesting:
B&W FST midrange... I've been given a pair

I've got two of them in my 802S's. I'm just having this crazy notion that I could better the wooden cases with some Nautilus shells.

Hide this!Advertise here!