Where are my mids?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so I'm a rookie here. I have a pair of Electro-Voice SH15-2 two way horn loaded stage speakers powered by a samson servo 200 amplifier off the pre-out of a yamaha receiver from the 80's. my american acoustic three way speakers sound great on the receiver but when i turn on the stage speakers I end up with a low, hollow sounding system. I have no experience with horns which is why I'm not sure if something is wrong or if i just need some mid supporting speakers.

It sounds to me like i need more mid-range sound so could anyone recommend a cheap solution to supplement my current system?

Otherwise if there is anyone here that knows the EV SH15-2 's at all how i could tell if the horns are actually working the way they are supposed to.

Brad

What i forgot to mention was that one of the horn drivers (the original i believe) has two contacts sticking out the side but the horn driver in the other cabinet (which was replaced by the previous owner) has two contacts sticking out of either side for a total of four. none of the contacts are labeled and there are no numbers that I can find on either driver.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Brad,
Stage speakers often sound like that. It has to do with how they are used. They are intended to pump out a lot of sound. If you do that with a speaker that has a solid midrange, they will be ear splitting at their intended volume, with heavy listening fatigue. Designed like they are, they can be turned up and still be tolerable.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
have you tried to reverse tweeter polarity ?

they dont always get it right you know
and besides, noone knows who else have been messing with it
even left and right speaker could be connected differently
such small errors happens all too easy
have you looked at the crossover
did anyone mess with it, making changes
could lead to errors
or if all original, and old, that could be of concern too

how old is this speaker ?

I did try reversing the polarity going into the driver on the cabinet that I believe still has the original horn. It didnt seem to make any noticeable difference which surprised me. The other cabinet witth the confusing horn driver I have not tried anything with because I wanted to do more testing on it before just hooking up to unlabeled connections so as to not let the smoke out of anything....

The crossover circuitry appears to be original and unaltered. These speakers are at least 20 years old. Not sure beyond that. The speakers were sitting unused for about 10 years before I got a hold of them. I was told they stopped using them and were getting rid of them because at high volume they would cut out. That gives me the feeling that they may have been slightly abused because I have never had them cut out on me.

cyclecamper,
I have been looking around at EQs recently, do you have any specific recommendation on a good EQ?

The cutting out may just be the auto-protect kicking in. It resets itself in a few minutes. Reversing tweeter polarity on one driver won't make a big difference as cancellation occurs mostly in the bass but it should be noticeable. If you reverse both tweeters, you probably won't hear any difference unless you know what to listen for. ie: the drop out at the XO point.

I'll stick with post #7 on this one. :)

so I'm a rookie here.

...I end up with a low, hollow sounding system. I have no experience with horns which is why I'm not sure if something is wrong or if i just need some mid supporting speakers.
Brad, make sure your speakers don't make use of any PolySwitch® PTC device that would be in need of replacing as you mention that was "blown" several times.
Also could be a lamp protecting the horn/tweeter in need of replacing. I don't know your crossover, just helping you.
Electro-Voice | Electro-Voice 500721000 Glass Crossover Fuse | Pro Sound, Lighting and DJ Equipment | Production Services
http://www.critesspeakers.com/electro-voice-crossovers.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.