2 way speaker system rebuild - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2012, 04:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question 2 way speaker system rebuild

Hello Forum!

I have a pair of Panasonic speakers which I want to fix/restore/rebuild. The model is SB CH-40 but my problem is that I can't seem to find much information on these specific models anywhere on the internet . I know these speakers are nothing special but I don't exactly have money to burn so I would like to use them in some way.

They work, which is a good start, but there is a small tear apprearing in the foam surround, so that is on its way out and would need to be replaced, which is fine.

What I really want to know is if it's possible - or economically viable - for me to swap the drivers for better alternatives and use these cabs to assemble a decent pair of monitors.

Can anyone advise me or point me in the right direction? I should be able to provide any necessary information on request (just wouldnt want to inundate my post with useless specs).

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th April 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym47 View Post
Hello Forum!
...these speakers are nothing special but I don't exactly have money to burn so I would like to use them in some way.

...but there is a small tear apprearing in the foam surround, so that is on its way out and would need to be replaced, which is fine.

...to assemble a decent pair of monitors.

Can anyone advise me or point me in the right direction?...
Look bobby, it's your problem if you want to glue/repair your old pair of speakers.
Now, there are good kits available that are not that expensive as you make us believe...
Curt's Sten II MTM Speaker Kit - Pair Sale Price: $133.00

Last edited by Inductor; 7th April 2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: www.madisoundspeakerstore.com
Old 7th April 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
pski is offline pski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym47 View Post
Hello Forum!

I have a pair of Panasonic speakers which I want to fix/restore/rebuild. The model is SB CH-40 but my problem is that I can't seem to find much information on these specific models anywhere on the internet . I know these speakers are nothing special but I don't exactly have money to burn so I would like to use them in some way.

They work, which is a good start, but there is a small tear apprearing in the foam surround, so that is on its way out and would need to be replaced, which is fine.

What I really want to know is if it's possible - or economically viable - for me to swap the drivers for better alternatives and use these cabs to assemble a decent pair of monitors.

Can anyone advise me or point me in the right direction? I should be able to provide any necessary information on request (just wouldnt want to inundate my post with useless specs).

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
When my Smaller Advents puked, I was able to substitute some more modern woofers from Radio Shack. Pull out the drivers you want to replace and see if there is anything intelligible inked on the magnets. You may have more luck with part numbers than model numbers..

Hey wait, here's your stuff:

http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_su.../download.html

They are from a dissected boom box...

See the previous comment about how good inexpensive speakers can be .

P

Last edited by pski; 7th April 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 9th April 2012, 08:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Speaker Repair Foam Edge Styles and Sizes for Speakers by Simply Speakers

Hide this!Advertise here!