Is the Morel MDT30 still viable? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is the Morel MDT30 still viable?

I remember building loudspeakers in the 1980's and Morel was a popular driver. Recently I spoke to a distributor about a recommendation for a soft dome tweeter for a 3 way system I am building and they recommended the MDT30!
It's 30 years old!! Is it still that highly recommended? I was thinking in it's price range there would be strong contenders if not better drivers? I was thinking Seas? What are your thoughts on this as I have been absent the DIY scene for 20 years. Thanks!!
Old 7th April 2012, 04:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I used the MDT-30 for nearly 20 years. Things have moved on significantly though. I now use the SEAS 22TAF/G aluminium dome. By comparison it is cleaner, smoother and more detailed.
Old 7th April 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I believe Morel have quietly updated their range to the ferrofluid Morel 308 these days. Soft domes are one of those designs that like the bumble bee, really ought not to fly.

They don't behave like domes at all, the soft centre tends to stay stationary. More like ring radiators in fact. But for all that, they are quite unfatiguing. Cheap replaceable Morel voicecoils are a plus too.

Metal domes combine true dome like performance with some, IMO, unpleasant ringing effects that make my ears bleed. Maybe it's just me.

Click the image to open in full size.

You choose your poison. But many people also really like the newer Vifa XT19 and XT25 waveguide soft tweeters. The centre is pinned stationary, there is no ferrofluid, so it has some particular elegance and evidently pleases:
Vifa XT25TG-30-04

Last edited by system7; 7th April 2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Added voicecoil remark.
Old 8th April 2012, 03:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Soft domes

I agree with the observations regarding hard domes and soft domes. The way I figure it is I could start by building a set using the soft dome. I will look up the drivers you suggested. The peak in the hard dome is scaring me away
Old 8th April 2012, 04:52 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

You can get near the same performance cheaper, or better for the same cost.

I can't be bothered to correct the misinformation posted regarding
domes. Its too long winded and nobody would really care anyway.

Tweeter choice for a 3 way very much depends on the rest of the design.

e.g. in this design : Parts Express DIY Project
Its actually very difficult to find a better tweeter at any price.

e.g. in this very different design :
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus
The tweeter choice is cost effective, but with tweaks others could be used.

Zaph|Audio is a place to start.

rgds, sreten.
Old 8th April 2012, 07:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbones View Post
I remember building loudspeakers in the 1980's and Morel was a popular driver. Recently I spoke to a distributor about a recommendation for a soft dome tweeter for a 3 way system I am building and they recommended the MDT30!
It's 30 years old!! Is it still that highly recommended? I was thinking in it's price range there would be strong contenders if not better drivers? I was thinking Seas? What are your thoughts on this as I have been absent the DIY scene for 20 years. Thanks!!
There are better modern drivers without a doubt - technology, and also understanding of acoustics, have both advanced. A CSS LD25X, Dayton RS28, an SB Acoustics SB29, an Usher 9950, Hiquphon OW2, Scanspeak 6640, and Seas Excel Millenium would be my list, at least as far as domes/RR go.

The LD25X in particular looks devastating.

More important than the driver itself though, is the polar response of the speaker as a whole. And your tweeter selection and crossover affect that greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbones View Post
The peak in the hard dome is scaring me away
Yeah, 27khz.... frightening.... With a huge peak like that you might almost be able to.... have your pet possibly hear it....

While there are some poor sounding metal domes, there are also many that sound every bit as good - or better - than a soft dome. Don't let bias be your guide in the quest for the best sound. The hard domes by commercial speakers companies like KEF, German Maestro, PSB(i think they use off the shelf stuff actually), and Revel are very smooth and far from fatiguing, as is the scanspeak unit I listed above. I've never messed with the Dayton RS28A but I wouldn't discount it either (the RS28F is the fabric dome version). Seas also has a rather smooth metal dome tweeter in their prestige line, I forget the name 27... and then four letters ;P ).

Last edited by RockLeeEV; 8th April 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 8th April 2012, 11:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLeeEV View Post
There are better modern drivers without a doubt - technology, and also understanding of acoustics, have both advanced. A CSS LD25X, Dayton RS28, an SB Acoustics SB29, an Usher 9950, Hiquphon OW2, Scanspeak 6640, and Seas Excel Millenium would be my list, at least as far as domes/RR go.

The LD25X in particular looks devastating.

More important than the driver itself though, is the polar response of the speaker as a whole. And your tweeter selection and crossover affect that greatly.

Yeah, 27khz.... frightening.... With a huge peak like that you might almost be able to.... have your pet possibly hear it....

While there are some poor sounding metal domes, there are also many that sound every bit as good - or better - than a soft dome. Don't let bias be your guide in the quest for the best sound. The hard domes by commercial speakers companies like KEF, German Maestro, PSB(i think they use off the shelf stuff actually), and Revel are very smooth and far from fatiguing, as is the scanspeak unit I listed above. I've never messed with the Dayton RS28A but I wouldn't discount it either (the RS28F is the fabric dome version). Seas also has a rather smooth metal dome tweeter in their prestige line, I forget the name 27... and then four letters ;P ).
HAHA! My bad, you're right I didn't even look at the freq! I just saw the peak! I'm lucky if I can hear to 14k!! My cat might have a problem with it though
Old 1st June 2012, 01:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ive been testing a battered old pair over the last week and would have to say that subjectively, they're as good as any of todays "go to" tweeters and better than most of them in terms of dynamics. Makes me wonder how far we have really come in 30 years.
Old 1st June 2012, 02:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

A true dome would expand and contract with the audio. The only tweeter I knew that did this was the strange gas-pressurised piezo-foil Audax tweeter (that deflated after a year or two, really annoying those who spent lots of money on a pair!).
Normal dome tweeters still move in a pistonic manner, so in many ways don't have all that many advantages over a good cone radiator.
Old 1st June 2012, 03:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

i agree with the moderate opinions, i agree SOME hard domes sound horrific, very sharp. I havent heard those ceramic accutons but id imagine they COULD sound very hard indeed. Even some mylar, melinex, or hard polymer domes are hard sounding, i find the soft dome to be either very dead sounding or just right. The thing about domes is they are better in regard radiation resistance, exactly HOW much i couldnt say. To those that like a wide pattern over 90deg then this is a good thing
as for system7 ring radiator thing, sure a dome breaks up, and the mid part will be in antiphase with the edge, at certain frequencies. Doesnt make a ring radiator tho, and hardER domes do it too, to a lesser degree sure.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 1st June 2012 at 03:34 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!