old Tline program-valid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is this program any use at all thesedays?

i was looking that the 'magic' deathboxes over at car audio forums,and magic'snailshells' that hit 140db with 6.5" speakers,and i saw this loading on the cone in this program with a little compliance behind the speaker ....could be different things,,no one seems to know enough to say any facts..

a larger compliance shifts the frequency of 'booming ' in this case (high Q speaker) downwards.

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION

TLBOXMOD is a computer model of a transmission-line
loudspeaker system that uses the acoustic model proposed by
Bradbury (The Use of Fibrous Materials in Loudspeaker
Enclosures, JAES, vol. 24, pp. 162-170, 1976). In addition
it has provisions for tapering the line, inserting a coupling
volume between the driver and line, and for a line
cross-section different than the driver piston area. Also,
the air speed in the line is selectable as is the porosity of
the line filling.

:(

Attachments

• tex.jpg
    tex.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 177
In my opinion, the TLBOXMOD program does not work. It is based on the moving fiber theory proposed by radbury which was in favor at the time. This theory assumed dramatic reductions in the speed of sound at low frequencies as the fibers coupled with the air and effectively increased the moving mass. I tried using this theory for years and was never able to correlate it against test data, it was always way off at low frequencies.

Bullock wrote an AES paper where he tried to correlate his program against test data. If I remember correctly, he concluded that the correlation was poor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.