475k capacitor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I must identify a capacitor value on the crossover of my loudspeakers. What is likely the value of a "475K/250V" metalyzed polyester capacitor?

Some information:

• A 1,5K/100V capacitor (I guess it's a 1,5uF one) is paralleled to the above mentioned capacitor.
  • There's also a 3,3K /100V capacitor (I guess it's a 3,3uF one).
  • The crossover type is first order
Is a 475K actually a 0,47uF or 47uF capacitor?

I sent an email to the Manufacturer (Expotus) some time ago but their customer support service couldn't clarify my doubt. I was only told that it was possibly a 0,47uF capacitor and the third number is referred to its tolerance (5%). If it's true, the correlate capacitance to the paralleled capacitors is around 2uF. Do 3,3uF and 2uF values make any sense for a first order crossover?

If someone can help me with this identification I'd appreciate. I'd like to avoid to take the capacitor off as all parts are fixed with hot glue. I have experience with solder but I'm thinking of having the crossover modification done by a more skillful technician. Otherwise, I'll have to purchase a hot glue pistol and other appropriate tools. I'm afraid of making a mess on the crossovers when melting the silicon glue.

Last edited:
Usually it is like this:

101=100pf
102=1nf
103=10nf
104=100nf
105=1uf
106=10uf
107=100uf......

475=4.7uf.

If still in absolute doubt, and you have a function generator and a meter or scope, you can place a resistor in series and determine the value by the voltage drop. Figure the Z of the capacitor in the voltage divider, Z=1/(2pi*F*C). Solve for C.;)

Last edited:
A three-digit number on a capacitor is usually two significant digits followed by the number of zeroes in picofarads. That's 4700000 or 4,700,000pF or 4.7uF. I vaguely recall that the letter k indicates tolerance, but I don't recall exactly what tolerance corresponds to k.

4.7uF in parallel with 1.5uF would be 6.2uF. This is a "reasonable" value for a crossover, but it's hard to tell how this would relate to the 3.3uF value without seeing the complete crossover schematic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.