Vifa drivers, still made in Denmark?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Are Vifa drivers generally still made in Denmark?

My question is based on what I was told about the D25AG-35-06 tweeter.

It seems in the last 5 years or so, they are now made in China, but are still equivalents.

Can anyone confirm this from their recent experience?

Thanks

I can be very wrong, but Vifa and Peerless are owned by Tymphany, a Chinese company, and all the drivers are manufactured in China (*). There isn't anymore a relationship with Denmark.

(*)The only exception I know is the Peerless HDS tweeter, manufactured by Scan-Speak, and sold also under the SS Discovery line.

giralfino, you are rigtigt. Vifa and Peerlees drivers are now mad by Tymphany in China. Unfortunately they have discontinued most of the old Vifa Drivers. Scan Speak can manufacture most of them, if a customer request quantity of them, and then they are relabeled with a Scan Speak label. The HDS tweeter have always been manufactured in Denmark, It was never moved to the China factory. The Discovery line is a new Scan Speak line with strong Vifa inspiration, forexample the chassis is now made of aluminium instead of magnesium, there was used before.

Ok, so the are made in China.

Jaycar currently sell the Vifa D25AG-35-06 tweeter but when I had a close look at it, it seems slightly different to the original Danish ones I have.

These have a cheap looking black & white sticker on the back that does not say where its made and slightly smaller magnet assembly.
I had my suspicions that they were selling dodgy copies, but maybe not.
It seems that's all Vifa make now???

Thanks for the replies. :)

from there you will get exactly informations regarding the currently manufacturing:
Vifa Speakers, Free UK Delivery, full Drive Unit range
http://www.d-s-t.com.au/drivers/speakers_vifa.htm
ASE - Acoustic Systems Engineering
ask also by the authors of "VoiceCoil" go to
AudioAmateur
Tymphy bought Vifa, Peerless & ScanSpeak. ScanSpeak got bought back by managers and is now back in Denmark... i don't know if any of there production got done in China.

dave

thank you for this advice:
http://www.scan-speak.dk/news/20090421a.htm

Last edited:
the D27AG-35-06 would still be made by Tymphany (who own Vifa/Peerless) but you would need to meet the minimum order quantity which is quite high.

as you know every audio company went through a bad time 2008-2009 many did not survive.

since Tymphany moved production to China they have been expanding the range of drivers that they produce,

and while some of our favorites like the 1" Alu dome tweeters are missing from the line up, I know they are working on a range of replacements which will be far superior to the originals.

unless you are talking about D27TG-35-06 which is current production
http://www.tymphany.com/files/D27TG-35-06 Rev1_0.pdf
it's also worth mentioning that since Tymphany has moved production to China, the consistency and reliability of their products has actually improved considerably!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Scan-Speak was (re-?) acquired by the Chinese:

From the 1 April 2014(!) press release:
"Scan-Speak A/S is pleased to announce that it has been acquired by Eastern Asia Technology (HK) Limited which is a fully owned subsidiary of Eastern Technologies Holding Limited ("KYET"). KYET was established in 2011 as a group of companies listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange (TSE stock code: 5225) and is an offshoot of an original group of companies that were formed in 1971."

Scan-Speak

Scan-Speak was (re-?) acquired by the Chinese:

From the 1 April 2014(!) press release:
"Scan-Speak A/S is pleased to announce that it has been acquired by Eastern Asia Technology (HK) Limited which is a fully owned subsidiary of Eastern Technologies Holding Limited ("KYET"). KYET was established in 2011 as a group of companies listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange (TSE stock code: 5225) and is an offshoot of an original group of companies that were formed in 1971."

Scan-Speak

Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but there's just something so un-cool about the passion of anything emanating from China. Sorry if that's sounds racist, sexist, homophobic or whatever. I just don't get those people. Their creativity amounts to buying or copying anything.

Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but there's just something so un-cool about the
passion of anything emanating from China. Sorry if that's sounds racist,
sexist, homophobic or whatever. I just don't get those people. Their
creativity amounts to buying or copying anything.

Hi,

No. They can build stuff cheaply and well. You can't
blame them for nearly all manufactures becoming
design centres and manufacturing in China.

rgds, sreten.

I'm old enough the remember that similar issues were raised about Japanese manufacturing in the 1960's. My guess is that China is going through a similar process.

In a recent discussion on capacitor quality on this forum, one poster supposedly "in the know" put it this way. " The Chinese are expert at making what you pay for". The problem is that a lot of manufacturers who order from China are looking for cheap items that will barely last the life of the warranty. While a lot of products manufactured in China is of this quality, it should be remembered that some of the worlds most respected companies also manufacture in China - think Apple. I see no reason why China cannot maintain the quality of these speakers, possibly at cheaper prices. I have purchased Vifa tweeters manufactured by Tymphany without any problems.

I'm old enough the remember that similar issues were raised about Japanese manufacturing in the 1960's. My guess is that China is going through a similar process.

Point sharp. Where would we be without our Toyota's and Nikons. And don't blame the Chinese other than for not acting against low labor conditions and poor payments. First have a glance on the motives behind western investor's choices.

Point sharp. Where would we be without our Toyota's and Nikons. And don't blame the Chinese other than for not acting against low labor conditions and poor payments. First have a glance on the motives behind western investor's choices.

My issue with China isn't one of quality, but just a sentiment that reflects the stigma of anonymous making combined with window dressing ownership/distribution of a product. Nothing makes me feel more like a 'consumer' than reading that I did biz with somebody with no name, and someone with a name who may or may not care anymore about the quality of the product. I mean, if they'd compromise the people making the stuff back home just because of the economics, what else could/would they compromise. I avoid these things where I can help to. It's obviously becoming more and more difficult in this day, but I don't have to like it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.