Vifa drivers, still made in Denmark? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2012, 04:29 AM   #1
shmb is offline shmb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Vifa drivers, still made in Denmark?

Hi all,

Are Vifa drivers generally still made in Denmark?

My question is based on what I was told about the D25AG-35-06 tweeter.

It seems in the last 5 years or so, they are now made in China, but are still equivalents.

Can anyone confirm this from their recent experience?

Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can be very wrong, but Vifa and Peerless are owned by Tymphany, a Chinese company, and all the drivers are manufactured in China (*). There isn't anymore a relationship with Denmark.

(*)The only exception I know is the Peerless HDS tweeter, manufactured by Scan-Speak, and sold also under the SS Discovery line.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Hylle is offline Hylle  Denmark
diyAudio Member

giralfino, you are rigtigt. Vifa and Peerlees drivers are now mad by Tymphany in China. Unfortunately they have discontinued most of the old Vifa Drivers. Scan Speak can manufacture most of them, if a customer request quantity of them, and then they are relabeled with a Scan Speak label. The HDS tweeter have always been manufactured in Denmark, It was never moved to the China factory. The Discovery line is a new Scan Speak line with strong Vifa inspiration, forexample the chassis is now made of aluminium instead of magnesium, there was used before.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

So is Scan Speak still Scandinavian? How do we find out what brands are not Communese?
Old 23rd March 2012, 01:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivates View Post
So is Scan Speak still Scandinavian? How do we find out what brands are not Communese?
Ask to see its party members card?

David
Old 23rd March 2012, 01:44 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Tymphy bought Vifa, Peerless & ScanSpeak. ScanSpeak got bought back by managers and is now back in Denmark... i don't know if any of there production got done in China.

dave
Old 23rd March 2012, 01:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Note that SB Acoustics (Indonesia) and Wavecor (China) were started & are run by Danish engineers who were rather annoyed by what Tymphany did.... hence the high quality of their drivers
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:33 PM   #8
shmb is offline shmb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ok, so the are made in China.

Jaycar currently sell the Vifa D25AG-35-06 tweeter but when I had a close look at it, it seems slightly different to the original Danish ones I have.

These have a cheap looking black & white sticker on the back that does not say where its made and slightly smaller magnet assembly.
I had my suspicions that they were selling dodgy copies, but maybe not.
It seems that's all Vifa make now???

Thanks for the replies.
Old 27th August 2012, 01:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

from there you will get exactly informations regarding the currently manufacturing:
Vifa Speakers, Free UK Delivery, full Drive Unit range
http://www.d-s-t.com.au/drivers/speakers_vifa.htm
ASE - Acoustic Systems Engineering
ask also by the authors of "VoiceCoil" go to
AudioAmateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Tymphy bought Vifa, Peerless & ScanSpeak. ScanSpeak got bought back by managers and is now back in Denmark... i don't know if any of there production got done in China.

dave
thank you for this advice:
http://www.scan-speak.dk/news/20090421a.htm

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 27th August 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 27th August 2012, 02:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

the D27AG-35-06 would still be made by Tymphany (who own Vifa/Peerless) but you would need to meet the minimum order quantity which is quite high.

as you know every audio company went through a bad time 2008-2009 many did not survive.

since Tymphany moved production to China they have been expanding the range of drivers that they produce,

and while some of our favorites like the 1" Alu dome tweeters are missing from the line up, I know they are working on a range of replacements which will be far superior to the originals.

unless you are talking about D27TG-35-06 which is current production
http://www.tymphany.com/files/D27TG-35-06%20Rev1_0.pdf
it's also worth mentioning that since Tymphany has moved production to China, the consistency and reliability of their products has actually improved considerably!

Hide this!Advertise here!