diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Overnight Sensations? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/209324-overnight-sensations.html)

Howard 21st March 2012 10:44 PM

Overnight Sensations?
 
Hi all,

Been looking for a cheap small speaker kit to start off with, and one that's available in the UK.

Having since written off the idea of a UK supplier doing something like this (Why does NO ONE seem interested in DIY audio in this country?!) I've decided I rather like the look of the 'Overnight Sensation' speaker design / kit, as sold here:

Overnight Sensation Speaker kit (Single) - Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

Has anyone had any experience with it? Will it put commercial speakers costing many times more, to shame? Can anyone suggest a better kit for a similar price, or better drivers to use in conjunction with this cabinet?


Thanks!

riley.reynolds 21st March 2012 11:35 PM

I just built a pair of this exact kit for my desk at work. Im driving them with a Dayton DTA100a 50wpc "T" amp which is definitely overkill. 15 wpc would suffice for them.

you will need to buy some terminal posts, something to mount the crossover parts to, and some polyfill.

It too me an afternoon to put them together and sand down, i didnt finish them with anything.

What makes them so good is that Paul Carmody designed these boxes, drivers and crossovers damn near perfectly to go together, he really hit the nail on the head. I think it would be worth it to try them, if you aren't satisfied them go from there.

They are great speakers and do not disappoint. I dont know about putting high end stuff to shame, but for only 150 bucks a pair completed they are damn good.

mikje 21st March 2012 11:40 PM

I built a pair from a kit and I'm very impressed with them. They are small speakers, but they're big sounding. They are also good sounding. I don't really know that you'd do better for the price. They can benefit from a sub-woofer in most rooms. However, if your listening area is small, you might be fine without a sub.
Mike

KyleinCowichan 21st March 2012 11:56 PM

Hey there,

I built a set of these last year as my first foray into DIY speakers and I was very happy with the results. If you don't want to cut any wood getting a flat-pack is a nice way to go. The speaker's designer Paul Carmody (link) seems like a great guy. He was very helpful and encouraging.

Kyle

fastbike1 22nd March 2012 12:05 AM

Go to Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com - Powered by vBulletin and search for Overnight Sensation.

Many versions built, universal satisfaction with the results.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 2955356)
Hi all,

Been looking for a cheap small speaker kit to start off with, and one that's available in the UK.

Having since written off the idea of a UK supplier doing something like this (Why does NO ONE seem interested in DIY audio in this country?!) I've decided I rather like the look of the 'Overnight Sensation' speaker design / kit, as sold here:

Overnight Sensation Speaker kit (Single) - Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

Has anyone had any experience with it? Will it put commercial speakers costing many times more, to shame? Can anyone suggest a better kit for a similar price, or better drivers to use in conjunction with this cabinet?


Thanks!


Howard 22nd March 2012 08:08 AM

Thanks guys, that's reassuring! Is there anywhere else to buy the kit? www.diysoundgroup.com's checkout system won't allow me to do a 'shipping quote' to the UK!

Studio Au 22nd March 2012 12:40 PM

Uk kits are hard to find......maybe someone should do something about that!?

The Overnight sensation does look pretty good.

The only producers of kits I really know of are:

IPL Acoustics

Wilmslow Audio


I have been looking at these Swan M1 kits on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIVI-SWAN-...item33730cc636

Any more to add to the list?

Howard 22nd March 2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio Au (Post 2956079)
I have been looking at these Swan M1 kits on ebay
HIVI SWAN M1 monitor speaker kit .smooth and warms sounds | eBay

Any more to add to the list?

Ooooh why did I not find that when I scoured eBay for kits? My internet-fu abilities are lapsing :mad:

LafeEric 22nd March 2012 01:51 PM

Wow - that looks like a great kit!

I just might have to get me some. :)

fastbike1 22nd March 2012 04:00 PM

Email a question using the Contact Us tab. He's a really nice guy and has dealt w/ group buys to/from Europe before. I'd be surprised if he won't give you a quote. Be patient, he has a full time business (not DIYsoundgroup) and this is getting to be his busy time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 2955824)
Thanks guys, that's reassuring! Is there anywhere else to buy the kit? www.diysoundgroup.com's checkout system won't allow me to do a 'shipping quote' to the UK!



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:52 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2