Overnight Sensations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Been looking for a cheap small speaker kit to start off with, and one that's available in the UK.

Having since written off the idea of a UK supplier doing something like this (Why does NO ONE seem interested in DIY audio in this country?!) I've decided I rather like the look of the 'Overnight Sensation' speaker design / kit, as sold here:

Overnight Sensation Speaker kit (Single) - Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

Has anyone had any experience with it? Will it put commercial speakers costing many times more, to shame? Can anyone suggest a better kit for a similar price, or better drivers to use in conjunction with this cabinet?

Thanks!

I just built a pair of this exact kit for my desk at work. Im driving them with a Dayton DTA100a 50wpc "T" amp which is definitely overkill. 15 wpc would suffice for them.

you will need to buy some terminal posts, something to mount the crossover parts to, and some polyfill.

It too me an afternoon to put them together and sand down, i didnt finish them with anything.

What makes them so good is that Paul Carmody designed these boxes, drivers and crossovers damn near perfectly to go together, he really hit the nail on the head. I think it would be worth it to try them, if you aren't satisfied them go from there.

They are great speakers and do not disappoint. I dont know about putting high end stuff to shame, but for only 150 bucks a pair completed they are damn good.

I built a pair from a kit and I'm very impressed with them. They are small speakers, but they're big sounding. They are also good sounding. I don't really know that you'd do better for the price. They can benefit from a sub-woofer in most rooms. However, if your listening area is small, you might be fine without a sub.
Mike

Go to Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com - Powered by vBulletin and search for Overnight Sensation.

Many versions built, universal satisfaction with the results.

Hi all,

Been looking for a cheap small speaker kit to start off with, and one that's available in the UK.

Having since written off the idea of a UK supplier doing something like this (Why does NO ONE seem interested in DIY audio in this country?!) I've decided I rather like the look of the 'Overnight Sensation' speaker design / kit, as sold here:

Overnight Sensation Speaker kit (Single) - Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

Has anyone had any experience with it? Will it put commercial speakers costing many times more, to shame? Can anyone suggest a better kit for a similar price, or better drivers to use in conjunction with this cabinet?

Thanks!

Email a question using the Contact Us tab. He's a really nice guy and has dealt w/ group buys to/from Europe before. I'd be surprised if he won't give you a quote. Be patient, he has a full time business (not DIYsoundgroup) and this is getting to be his busy time.

Thanks guys, that's reassuring! Is there anywhere else to buy the kit? www.diysoundgroup.com's checkout system won't allow me to do a 'shipping quote' to the UK!

I did that, he came back saying that it probably isn't worth having them shipped to the UK :(

To be honest, he may be right.. I already have what I'd consider pretty good hifi components. Has anyone else considered whether or not it's worth building a 'cheap' DIY kit? Other than to gain experience, of course :)

I may stick to subwoofers!

IPL Acoustics

I built the S3TL kit from IPL Acoustics a couple of years ago.
Mine has Seas H881 tweeters, although all the current kits use ribbon tweeters.
I can only say they sound much better than the (smaller) Kef floorstanders they replaced with much lower and more tuneful bass.
I had great fun making the cabinets from scratch with no previous experience. They look great in light oak veneer.

I'm definitly interested in opinions on this kit. Has anybody actually build these speakers?

i built the sensations a couple yrs ago. great sounding kit for the price. surprising bass from a small woofer. warm sounding upper bass-mids.
Overnight Sensation Kit /Pr

have also built the swans M1. this is in a diiferent league altogether altho more money invested. not gobs of bass, a sub would be a help unless in a small room. a tad lean in the upper bass -mids (which i prefer to warmth). this is my go to office speaker and i've built quite a number of designs.

maybe checkout Paul's Swope MT. it's the bigger brother to the sensation. not much more cost and i think a definite step up. just built these for a friend.
Swope TM

good luck
david

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.