2 way monitor with Dynaudio T330D and Scan-speak 15wu8741 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2012, 03:12 PM   #11
Joostp is offline Joostp  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Minimum phase graph

The 85us was found by trial and error.
jerome69: here is a new graph with minimum phase (generated), is this what you mean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spl and phase prof 13 min phase.jpg (216.2 KB, 240 views)
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:29 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Yes. All seem OK
Old 11th June 2012, 05:56 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Update on Monitor project

Just a small update on my speaker project.

I have been listening to my new monitors for some time now and it sounded ok but not great. No matter how many times i measured my setup and adjusted the Hypex DSP settings.

My approach was to get a flat response and, using the DSP, correct any 'hills and valleys' in the frequency response graph. But it all sounded a bit flat, boomy and restless. I guess all those DSP corrections messed up the phase behavior of the monitors.

So tried a different approach and i sort off emulated a passive crossover with the DSP. I decided to go for a cross-over frequency at 2Khz, using a 24db slope. A 24db slope is a bit tricky with passive components but not with a DSP.
The tweeter output was adjusted by -10db and i added 65 us delay for phase correction (could measure the result of the phase correction perfectly). This simple setup did the trick and they now sound absolutely great.

My lesson was that a DSP can really mess up your sound even if the result measures fine. Does anyone have the same experience with DSP's and more info on this like a 'DSP best practice guide'?
Old 27th July 2012, 11:04 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I used the exact same hypex plate in my project, a very nice piece of equipment indeed!

What you probably heard was distortion, a first order slope is very difficult on almost every driver. It may sum flat in the frequency domain but if you look at distortion you will be shocked by the results..

EQ a driver flat before XO is probably a good idea (i did it to) it also helps you with the phase response. And time alignment should definitely be done, it's benefits are obvious and the implementation with the DSP is very, very easy.

Just remember that DSP isn't magic, all the rules that apply to normal XO design also apply here, the DSP just makes it easier to implement (usually).

Trinium, my latest build
Old 1st August 2013, 03:16 PM   #15
jlm0924 is offline jlm0924  Cote dIvoire
diyAudio Member

You might want to try a different target curve for your freq. response.... eg: a downward tilt ...
congrats on an Excellent design from front to back...
Old 7th August 2013, 10:32 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi jlm0924,

Thanks for your remark, could you please clarify what you mean with e different target curve. I am willing to give it a try if you help me a bit here.

Hide this!Advertise here!