Bookshelf speaker recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah what about...

Nak and B&O? How is the modern stuff?

I have been told many times my B&O turntable is not HIFI and is merely furniture. When I used it rfrequently I always had lots of praise on how good it sounded. The cartridge is tired now but I thought it was okay way back when. Perhaps it was the nice Industrial Design clouding peoples' critical hearing though.

BTW Hi Purple.

nope!

i have heard B&O lately, and they sound more and more like bose every day. great midrange, but thats it. and as far as nakamichi, i think they are doing a great job at making lifestyle products sound decent, but for the same price, you can get something much better, but bigger and possibly uglier.

if you have a wife who is opposed to big speakers (and you have to keep her too for some reason...), there are some great products. but they will always be beat out by big heavy gear. (i am single, fortunately, and own maggie 1.6QR's, soon to have MG12's as rears as well.)

Ah yes. SAF. Being nagged about the size of system can certainly make the noise floor unbearably high.

RKH, do you already have an amp for these speakers. If not, then how about an inexpensive pair of active monitors and a DIY opamp-based preamp. M-Audio should be in your price range.

:)ensen.

Waf

Ive had good luck for WAF with Tannoy PBM6.5. They, and their kin often sell for good deals on EBay. Id watch for just the right deal, even worth a good-looking set, there is no telling what hell the previous owner has subjected them to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2562503557&category=23786

or slightly out of the bookshelf realm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3050181550&category=39997

Of course WAF is not an easy to track factor. While watching me vacuum the grills of my old Technics TS-400's she recently commented that they would look good next to the Nelson bench in the living room. Go figure.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
purplepeople said:
So then, we should not trust anything that has "lifestyle" in the product branding - B&O, Nak Soundspace, etc. etc.

Certainly B&O fits in as a hi-end Bose... we were a B&O dealer for a while, and i even went to B&O school. The stuff is not great.

My experience with Nakamichi is a bit dated -- they built their reputaion on the very best cassette decks made (their bottom of the line smoked everyone elses top of the line), but their electronics were mediocre.

Don't know whether the Niro stuff is.

dave

Re: Yeah what about...

GringoAudio said:
BTW Hi Purple.

If we've met before, sorry for the bad RAM, but you'll have to refresh me. In any case, hello to a fellow ID and pedaller.

My only experience with Bose are the (in)famous 901 speakers, the ubiquitous 6-speaker car stereo systems and the Wave Radio informercials on TV. What I've heard is not bad, especially compared to big box retail stuff, just not what I would consider detailed and certainly not for the asking prices.

Re: Epos - I couldn't see the pictures on their website and even the google cache didn't have them...

What about buying second hand? If the seller doesn't know what they have, you can often get a really good deal. Bring a small gainclone with you and you can test the speakers on-site with a known sound.

GringoAudio: I am a product designer for a Imprint Plus a company that sells printing systems for name badges. Not even close to the dream job, but it feeds the cat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.