What crossover type ? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2013, 12:07 AM   #111
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

The fundamental sound of the driver size, their baffling and directivity is something you have limited control over with the crossover. In this case the directivity will narrow, then widen and narrow again with increasing frequency. You can choose your compromises but probably not 'fix' it with the crossover.

This is over and above driver selection (eg. replacing with like types that handle a particular range better).

Although I don't know how much of an effect your particular waveguide is offering, horn like devices tend to have issues at their lower end such as a mouth reflection, with issues like 'honk', and a standard caution would be to avoid using them low enough where waves would pass through them as if they are not there due to their size.
Old 1st May 2013, 01:08 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
In this case the directivity will narrow, then widen and narrow again with increasing frequency. You can choose your compromises but probably not 'fix' it with the crossover.

And here's the frequency response with the current 2.4k crossover:

Click the image to open in full size.

This is 0, 15, 30, 45, and i've included the 60 degree off axis response.

Last edited by fatmarley; 1st May 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 1st May 2013, 01:10 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

And for comparison. This is the previous AR-X0:

Old 1st May 2013, 01:23 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

I took the speakers outside and hoisted them of the floor to try and get a good measurement of the lower frequencies. The bottom of the woofer was 2.4mtrs off the ground and according to an online floor bounce calculator - If I set the gating to about 10ms I should get accurate results down to 45Hz. Here's what I got:

Why have I got a 6db bass boost? I was expecting to see a flat'ish response or maybe +/- a couple of db but not +6db! They don't sound bass heavy and i'm sure if I removed the 6db bump they'd sound terrible.

Last edited by fatmarley; 1st May 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:33 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

It seems my concerns were probably greater than required. The point about the acoustic nature of the speaker may be food for thought in the future. In the meantime yourself and Steve seem to be nailing this one quite well.

Are you still noticing a harshness? With some speakers a slight downward tilt to the treble is required.
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:01 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Are you still noticing a harshness? With some speakers a slight downward tilt to the treble is required.

There's not even a hint of harshness now and I think they sound great. Problem is, I have the bug and want to build more speakers...
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:02 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

I'm still confused by the 6db bass hump - and due to the lack of response I assume everyone who has looked doesn't know why it's there either. I've got a pair of Mission M70 and some Philips speakers that came with a mini system. If I measure them and they have a large bass hump too, then I guess it must be a problem with the mic or calibration file?
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:39 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
I'm still confused by the 6db bass hump
This could be for mounting near a wall. About 20", I'd think.
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:49 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This could be for mounting near a wall. About 20", I'd think.
I don't understand what you mean. Could you explain?
Old 4th May 2013, 03:45 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

A reflection of that length could cut a little at 160Hz and boost the lower bass.

Hide this!Advertise here!