Transmission line, Help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not familiar with the speaker you mentioned, but I have made a TL and it's on my website, it may interest you ...

Not sure of the exchange rate, but it sounds like you have quite a generous budget, you could do quite a lot with that.

You could also consider the Thor TL kit using Seas excel drivers - a nice speaker although I don't think there is a lot of bass in that speaker.

It depends: if the box is small enough that woofer excursion is controlled by the air in the cabinet -- as the woofer moves out, the decreased pressure in the cabinet provides a restoring force, so that the woofer returns -- then yes. If the box is larger, and simply traps the back wave, and the stiffer suspension of the woofer restoring force, then the box is an infinite baffle. Alot of speakers are sort of inbetween.

Transmission lines, on the other hand are essentially a damped tube, that theoretically absorbs most of the backwave, and uses quarter wave resonance to damp the woofer. Transmission line theory is less clear than most other enclosure models. Usually associated with IMF and TDL, but used by many others.

transmission line or IB?

Sounds confused between the differential of the transmission line and IB speaker......coupling shaft missing.

Cannot recommend transmision line except for very high quality deep bass, choral works, and fussy listening. I tried one design years ago and it just wouldn't heave substance at the lower end. As I like my music loud. If you like 16Hz from an organ pipe then this is the speaker to use. (mighty long one) A bonus is that cheap high fundamental res drivers can be used as transmission line properties, system actually lower the driver fundamental resonance. The transmission line length for operation down to 30Hz would be min 2.7meters long. A folded concept is the only solution. In a practical transmission design the length of the rear pipe is made to be equal to a quarter of the wavelength of the sound at the resonant frequency of the bass driver. Then the rear sound is delayed by quarter wavelength, then is behaves are per standard reflex. Taper folded construction behind driver (bit like ones innards) is imperative to avoid colouration resonances at other frequencies so it is filled with absorbent material. In practice the resistive nature of air in the absorbent material flattens the impedance curve. If you find a design/kit, follow the directions carefully for colourless sound.

good luck
rich

I remember the original Linn Kans - not familiar with the mark 2 -
they were sort of Linns answer to the ls3/5a (same Kef B110 bass driver)- but the top end was a bit hotter (Linns own tweeter).
If I were to buils something similar my choice for drivers would be Vifa C13wg or P13 & Scanspeak D8513 or D8512. The cost of drivers would be around 100 quid.

Now if you want a far better quality of sound then go for superior drivers. Say Audio Technology 5" with a Vifa ring radiator or even Scanspeak Revelator.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: transmission line or IB?

richwalters said:
I tried one design years ago and it just wouldn't heave substance at the lower end.

Any TL designed before the advent of King's & Augspurger's modeling tools only ever had a very small chance of performing optimally... these 2 gentlemen's models (King's especially) have ushered in a who new world of quarter-wave design (a TL is a small subset of all the possible design space).

If you haven't listened to a modern TL, you owe yourself another stab at it.

dave

Dave,

I downloaded the Martin King stuff and got a copy of the demo version of Mathcad 8, but unfortunately I can't get it to work on Windows XP :bawling:

I'd be very curious to see the results mine would get if plugged in to Mathcad ... hint, hint, anyone who is set up to do it!!! :att'n:

It must be pretty close to optimal, I can't imagine getting any more or significantly more refined bass out of midbass drivers.

About the pic, thanks, I have since realised the link is wrong, unfortunatly I have been having problems with FTP software and can't fix it til I get my ftp program working!!!

cheers,
Paul

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I have Win98SE, but I would share the following experience anyway, as it might also apply to XP.

DO NOT create a folder yourself and then download either MathCad 8 or Martin King's spreadsheets into it. In each case, simply let the default setting of the program go. Do not use "Browse", don't mess with anything.

This small detail held me up for days.

I have no idea why the folder you put it in matters, but believe me, it does.

Hmmmm, I usually download things into a folder called "downloaded" then install. With the Mathcad 8 explorer I let it install from there to its default location. The Mathcad worksheets were only zipped files.

Do you mean that when I download them onto my computer the site should determine what folder? Normally this will just default to the last location I downloaded something to.

cheers,
Paul

Joined 2001
Forget the zipped worksheets. It is the demo version of MathCAD 8 that we are talking about.

If you download the free demo version of MathCAD 8, even if your download screen is set for something else, MathCAD 8 demo will deposit itself in Program Files. Mathsoft, I believe, is the folder name. I just tried it myself just to make sure.

You can download Martin King's worksheets anyplace, I imagine. but DON'T make a folder yourself for MathCAD 8 demo or use the "Browse". Just let it put itself in the Program Files Folder.

I got messed up on that fact for a few days. Very frustrating. :headbash:

PS: Just to repeat what Rudolf said, if you have Norton AV don't forget to diable "scripting" individually when running this. for some reason, disabling Norton AV completely does not appear to do the trick. To disable "scripting" individually seems to be necessary.

I disabled norton and reinstalled mathcad, but still nothing!

This is all I get:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It acts as if it is nothing more than a help file, nothing opens up, nothing changes when I try to open the downloaded files like TL Closed End.mcd

:bawling:

Thanks for your help guys. Anyone got any other ideas? Is there something I'm missing?

cheers,
Paul

Joined 2001
That is precisely what happened to me over the course of many attempts and several days.

Not to go overboard, I just want to make sure that you did not not simply disable Norton entirely, but actually go into defeating the script blocking. Defeating the script blocking individually seems to be very important.

Not to belabor the point, or try to drag it out, but you should first click on the Norton icon on your desktop or system tray to see the following screen:

Attachments

• norton script antivirus prelim.gif
    norton script antivirus prelim.gif
    28.7 KB · Views: 288
Joined 2001
Then you should click on "Norton Antivirus" on the left side of the picture, (highlighted in yellow), until you see the screen below.

Then just disable the script blocking.

Also, even after doing all that, I find that the first click on Martin King's worksheets results in an error message. but if I click on it again, it comes up. Other people with the Norton situation have said the same thing on this board.

Let us know how you make out on this.

Attachments

• norton script blocking 2.gif
    norton script blocking 2.gif
    29.3 KB · Views: 274
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.