Western Electric 1928 - How far have we come in the last 100 years?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pano, 80yrs sounds like a long time, but only 30 separates that from this year’s 50th anniversary of both Woodstock, and the Beatles Let it Be - of which, by the way, Peter Jackson is working on a compilation of something like 55 hrs of previously unreleased film. That should be a very interesting project.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Rob. I saw some of that Shearer horn in the Altec 1943 catalog. So they must have come over from Western Electric? Did Loew's (MGM) use any particular system in the 1930s, or was a mix of playback systems? EDIT: Never mind, it's in the article you linked. :up:

Chris. Yeah, 50 years ago for that rooftop concert. Wow. Looking forward to seeing what Peter Jackson does with it.

The Hollywood premiere of "Wizard of Oz" was on August 15, 1939, at Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

In 1937 a Shearer system had been installed in this theatre, so Robh3606's bet is safe.

Attachments

• Altec Bulletin_2a.jpg
    Altec Bulletin_2a.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 319
  • Altec Bulletin_2b.jpg
    Altec Bulletin_2b.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 5b.jpg
    5b.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 328
  • Shearer Horn Systems.jpg
    Shearer Horn Systems.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Yes, it's a rare beast.
I guess most of us are familiar with the story behind it:

"Jim Lansing had been warned by Western Electric (probably in 1936 or 1937) that his 284 large format compression driver (developed for the MGM Shearer Horn) was being built in violation of their patent on the circumferential slit phasing plug. W.E. was apparently beginning to produce their 594A at the time, a 4" diaphragm driver based closely on E.C. Wente's U.S. Patent #2,037,187. Lansing had his engineer Dr. John Blackburn seek a solution to this dilemma. Blackburn designed a 20 slit radial phasing plug for the large driver and it continued on otherwise unchanged as the model 285.

On September 1st, 1937 Western Electric signed a consent decree with the government to cease the supply and servicing of sound systems in theatres in the U.S. This evidently relieved Jim Lansing of the threat of legal action, and he soon resumed manufacture of his large format driver with circumferential phasing plug, calling it the 284B."

Here's some info on the 284.

Some images of the 285's radial phase plug versus the concentric annular ring slots of the 287's plug.

Attachments

• 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 285expose.jpg
    285expose.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Slits_2.jpg
    Slits_2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Altec 287.jpg
    Altec 287.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
The engineer with the office next to mine at Bell Labs, Murray Hill, had a couple of those drivers and horns (or similar WE) outside his office awaiting trash pick-up. At the time, 1968, we just thought of them as ancient "ball park" loudspeakers.

I grabbed some horns and drivers with his permission just to fool with them. Later took apart the old tired driver and made a mess. But I was impressed with the edge-wound aluminum VC... that I destroyed.

Guess I'm cryin' about not preserving the tired old gear.

Now that was around 1968 so it was actually closer in time back to 1928 than to today. Makes me feel kind of like I'm getting old.

B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.