Zaph Audio SB12.3 Build Thread

Would you build the SB 12.3 if you were to build a large 3 way speaker?

• No For me DIY is design from scratch.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have finally decided to go ahead and build a three way system which is the Zaph SB 12.3 kit.

Since there is no thread that I have seen that completely documents this build , I would like to start this thread which will useful to people who have a similar idea and gain help from more experienced members regarding improvements to the original in cabinet design & possibly crossover improvements.

From the time I originally saw SB 12.3 on Zaph audio more than 2 years ago I had wanted to build it.Now I have decided to pull the trigger & start the build.The objective is to have have a stereo pair to be used initially for music and later become the mains for a complete HT system using SB Acoustics drivers.

Iam based in Melbourne Australia, and would appreciate if fellow Aussie members could share their advice/ comments in procuring local supplies/hardware for this build.

Got the woofers. Plan to run the woofers open baffle until the rest of the stuff is ordered & ready. Would recommend Scott from Essential Audio esp for anyone in Melbourne.Delivery & followup were top notch.

These make the 5 inch SS revelator look absolutely tiny!

Regarding the cab construction planning to make the box in Plywood & veneer it . ( I have learn to veneer first ! ) I will soon post a sketch up of the speakers with an certain look I have in mind.

Cabinet construction queries.

1. I wonder if it would be o.k to build the front baffle of the cabinet tilted to align the drivers.

2. Can a transmission line box be designed with Zaphs Crossover? How big will be box be and would the crossover have to be modified?

3. Any inputs about what quality of ply to use & how thick ? Looks like Bunnings stock 12mm C/D ply costing $44 for 2.4 by 1.2 m. Any place where better quality ply can be bought at a good cost.? Does any one know where veneers are sold for good prices?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    956.7 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 1,068
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 346
starting the build myself im new to this site

purchased the woofers gonna order the rest this coming week have many projects ive done never used someone elses but i believe these will be a nice set to own and listen to. i will supply pictures as it comes available.
some of my projects can be viewed at thanenelsonconstruction.com gallery home theatre. im excited for peoples input and suggestions i am gonna upgrade series caps on mids i think and possible the inductors as most of the sounds comes from this area let me know what you think thanks

Have purchased the rest of the parts from Madisound.I was overseas for a couple of months so could not work on this build.Will post pictures soon.

After going through Zaph's site again I gathered the answers for the first two cabinet questions.

As for the third question
"12mm is too little, unless you go double-thick on the front baffle and brace the box extremely well. "
I meant to use either 12mm double thickness or 24 mm ply or maybe mdf- still thinking about the pros & cons of each...

thanenelson - Iam going to use the Clarity PX caps on the midrange, sticking with the Clarity SA for the tweeter & Solen Cap for the Woofer....I find the SA cap to be good enough for the tweeter & upgrading further affects the price-performance ratio adversely.

Update Veneer purchased

The veneer has been purchased for the speakers. Myrtle veneer has been chosen , I have bought it from Kristopher Murray.The veneer is good and the packaging , delivery & response prompt & topnotch. Highly recommended.

veneer1.jpg veneer2.jpg veneer3.jpg

Plan to learn veneering on the little wooden base I built for the amp.

veneer practice.jpg veneer practice1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there. I built Zaph SB12.3 not long ago and still tuning it (as i made some mistakes).

A few advises:

Pay attention to how well you flush mount the tweeter and round cabinet corners with the largest radius you can (. With large baffles like this they are VERY sensitive to any diffraction related issues. I'm still trying to figure out the whole diffraction/baffle step thing though and battle some of the issues due to not ideally countersunk tweeter and mids...

19mm mdf is not all that much for such a big enclosure so i added a few braces along walls (especially in upper chamber) and only regret i didn't add even more.

A word of warning from people buying from HASAUDIO , please be careful when purchasing from them as I have bought stuff for around $160 from them , did not receive them still ( 5 months ) and since they do not accept paypal I am stuck with the slow credit recovery process from my bank. I would suggest distributors like essential audio & soundlabs who are reliable & trustworthy,learnt from experience!!

Pictures of the finished SB12.3

SB 12.3 finished with a few modifications including narrower baffle, deeper cabinet, dual scan-speak aperiodic vents , centered mid-range and tweeter.

Upgraded Clarity PX caps for the midrange, rest of the crossover with default SA caps for tweeter & Solen caps for woofer.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 600
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 564
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 554
Have been using these speakers for the past couple of weeks - and the audio is getting better and better.
Iam used to to good sound from the SB dimple dome tweeter ,it is even better sounding in this speaker. Bass is improved ( louder & seems more natural ) due to the aperiodic vents in the cabinet . It seems that the midrange is getting better from when I started using it.

Very clean sound ...the volume can be turned up without any audible distortion...honestly to properly evaluate this I would have to wait a couple of months I guess, especially considering the crossover with the huge caps.

And I have bi-amped these speakers , the tweeter & midrange on an amp channel and the big woofers on a seperate channel.....

As per Zaph's website it is ok for the MTM's to be centred, and baffle width has been reduced only slightly so hopefully should not affect the sound much...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.