New UK Member New Speaker Build Project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, im sure i was a member on this site some years ago but have totally forgot my username and password, oh well, ive been working on some rather large speakers, 3 way 4 speaker system, around 300watts RMS and approx 7ft tall, i was at a show and was so impressed with the sheer presence and size of the focul utopia speaker i had to set out to make something as "in your face" but obviously not as complicated, anyways after sourcing many parts and designing my own enclosures here i am a few months down the line with something that has ended up being not only time consuming but not as easy as i thought, being a cabinet maker the outer enclosures where nothing difficult, and finaly after weeks of tuning and tweeking ive finaly got a monster speaker that sounds certainly in your face, tweeking the enclosure was a pain, i think i wasted 4 8x4ft sheets of mdf remodeling the internals, trying different models before i got the fast tight bass and the 18Hz i was after, man this speaker rocks, below is a computer generated picture of what im building, i must say though the photos of the build you can see so far is like the INSIDE of the speaker, there are extra side panels and extra front baffles to go on yet, and the spiked plinths are not built yet, but im very happy with the project and sound up to now, the only pain is having to move these around, at the moment approx 90kg and not finished yet.:eek:

Attachments

• speaker project1.png
    speaker project1.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 892
  • speakes4.JPG
    speakes4.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 862
  • speakes5.JPG
    speakes5.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 856
  • speakers4.JPG
    speakers4.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 830
  • speakers 1.JPG
    speakers 1.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 792
Interesting design. Definitely a lot of work going into those boxes. Any particular reason that the tweeter and mid-range are mounted so far apart?

You know i dont know why, i was actualy thinking of moving the mid up an inch or two and i guess i can still do that as what they are mounted on now is not the finished baffle and they are not internaly finished yet, i just mounted them quick for photo, are you suggesting they should be closer?

A few more pics, did a sound test today and i couldnt be more delighted, they are stunning, very detailed, fast deep bass, only need the bass set at 9 o clock on the dial, they realy rock, they definately have a high end quality sound, even rock music or drum n bass is a breeze, they seem to handle it without even trying, truly epic sound quality ive only heard from the likes of my proacs and i realy put them through their pases after about an hour of running in, no fatigue at all, i didnt want to turn them off

Attachments

• Test time.JPG
    Test time.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 206
  • M4 T nuts.JPG
    M4 T nuts.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 129
  • M4 Hex bolts.JPG
    M4 Hex bolts.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Ins head.JPG
    Ins head.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 221
Tighter driver spacing usually a good idea. Coupling drivers to behave as much like a point source as possible is a good goal and has to be considered both when arranging drivers physically, choosing which drivers to use, and in crossover design.

Eric

Yes i totally agree with you on that, if you remember i did say there is another baffle to go on yet, for the head this is angled for the tweeter, see the image below, baring in mind the head is adjustable too to direct the mid and high towards the listener wherever they are standing or sitting, the room these will be going in is 6 meters x 5 meters and the tweeter will be set at such an angle it should be directed right towards the listener based on that size room, if the rooms bigger or small the head can be tilted to suit and the whole speakers moved closer or further away, the angle of the tweeter should meet at a sweet spot together with the midrange at approx 5 meters away weather they are sat or stood.

The left drawing shows how it is now

Attachments

• Head positioning.png
    Head positioning.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 375
  • speaker project 1.png
    speaker project 1.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Have you looked at these before?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They are from Ayon Audio, and this particular one is from the 'Master Series CRANE' edition. You can easily go out and pick up a pair for just $110,600.00/US.

Here's another shot, with what I believe is shimmering Black Limba veneer. I do love Black Limba. In truth, I'm somewhat partial to a little bit of the sap wood included, just to add highlight to an otherwise stunning grain and colour.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I suppose the cabinets alone cost 90K ;)

As a cabinet maker for the past 20 years I've made some seriously nice pieces using some rare and wonderfull veneers, I know exactly what it would cost to make cabinets like these and if your right about these at 90k then that's a pure ripp off, as I could clone these exactly for less than 2k, there's absolutely no reason at all they should cost more, I might add I only have a small workshop to no high end cad or computerised machines doing it for me, as far as the finish, well several days in a spray booth and polishing shop would sort that.

I think most of the cost would be in the drivers and crossovers but even then they are still way over priced, most of the cost is down to time designing and paying large overheads, they have to charge such prices.

This is why speaker making companies come and go on a regular basis. Most of them fail out of the gate, and others are sold and then fade from the scene.

I think part of the reason is because they don't offer any compelling reasons to own their speakers especially the costs are just too crazy. Putting on expensive drivers and fancy cabinets probably won't do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.