diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   New UK Member New Speaker Build Project. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/208503-new-uk-member-new-speaker-build-project.html)

AudioFreeeek 10th March 2012 09:36 AM

New UK Member New Speaker Build Project.

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all, im sure i was a member on this site some years ago but have totally forgot my username and password, oh well, ive been working on some rather large speakers, 3 way 4 speaker system, around 300watts RMS and approx 7ft tall, i was at a show and was so impressed with the sheer presence and size of the focul utopia speaker i had to set out to make something as "in your face" but obviously not as complicated, anyways after sourcing many parts and designing my own enclosures here i am a few months down the line with something that has ended up being not only time consuming but not as easy as i thought, being a cabinet maker the outer enclosures where nothing difficult, and finaly after weeks of tuning and tweeking ive finaly got a monster speaker that sounds certainly in your face, tweeking the enclosure was a pain, i think i wasted 4 8x4ft sheets of mdf remodeling the internals, trying different models before i got the fast tight bass and the 18Hz i was after, man this speaker rocks, below is a computer generated picture of what im building, i must say though the photos of the build you can see so far is like the INSIDE of the speaker, there are extra side panels and extra front baffles to go on yet, and the spiked plinths are not built yet, but im very happy with the project and sound up to now, the only pain is having to move these around, at the moment approx 90kg and not finished yet.:eek:

mafia1976 10th March 2012 07:58 PM

They look very impressive but what will the cost be at the finish? :)

mdocod 10th March 2012 08:40 PM

Interesting design. Definitely a lot of work going into those boxes. Any particular reason that the tweeter and mid-range are mounted so far apart?

AudioFreeeek 11th March 2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mafia1976 (Post 2940987)
They look very impressive but what will the cost be at the finish? :)

Approx 300 i reckon, but thats not including the wood veneer and paints to finish, oh and spikes, probably 400:scratch:

AudioFreeeek 11th March 2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdocod (Post 2941029)
Interesting design. Definitely a lot of work going into those boxes. Any particular reason that the tweeter and mid-range are mounted so far apart?

You know i dont know why, i was actualy thinking of moving the mid up an inch or two and i guess i can still do that as what they are mounted on now is not the finished baffle and they are not internaly finished yet, i just mounted them quick for photo, are you suggesting they should be closer?

John L 12th March 2012 12:53 AM

You certainly have your work cut out for yourself.

Nice work.

AudioFreeeek 14th March 2012 07:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more pics, did a sound test today and i couldnt be more delighted, they are stunning, very detailed, fast deep bass, only need the bass set at 9 o clock on the dial, they realy rock, they definately have a high end quality sound, even rock music or drum n bass is a breeze, they seem to handle it without even trying, truly epic sound quality ive only heard from the likes of my proacs and i realy put them through their pases after about an hour of running in, no fatigue at all, i didnt want to turn them off

DrDyna 14th March 2012 08:38 PM

Reminds me a bit of the look of a watt / puppy.

Pretty nifty, if even a little suggestive.

AudioFreeeek 14th March 2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDyna (Post 2945980)
Reminds me a bit of the look of a watt / puppy.

Pretty nifty, if even a little suggestive.

yes they do, though the watt puppy is a mere 120cm high but simular looking even more so by the time the cabinets are finished.

AudioFreeeek 15th March 2012 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Comparison photo comparing them to an average floorstanding speaker.