Cheap 2-way Speakers - Design advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have assembled and tested the speakers - the back is just tacked on for the moment as I have not added polyester fill or made any tweaks yet.

Bass sounds good from very low frequencies all the way up to mid bass levels, much better that I had hoped. Treble sounds ok but the mids are very lacking in detail, mids just sound muddy.

I did listen on a very humid day in the middle of a low pressure system. Mids normally sound average to me under these conditions anyway, I am hoping for better results on my next listen.

If things don’t improve would this be an appropriate replacement woofer?
http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=CW2196&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1008#4

I have now filled the speakers with polyester fill and have given them a better temporary seal for testing.

Sounding much better now, still not quite right at low volumes. EQing the treble up a little seems to balance things out, should I just attenuate the woofer with a resistor network?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP8127.jpg
    IMGP8127.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 338
Running in

Hi,
don't be too hasty.
Speakers need some running in. Generally 40-60 hours of work at least.
Last week I've finished a new pair of loudspeakers. At the beginning they were very crisp and rather forward. After a week, they sound now exaggeratedly warm to me. This is because new woofers have surrounds still hard, and they must be softened with use.
I've seen that in your case we have a different situation; anyway, wait a little, before operating.
Another important thing to consider is the place where your box shall be put. Do you have carpets or curtains in the place where you've done the test? Textiles make tones warmer. Something similar happens if you put the boxes near a wall or, even, close to a corner. In this case, sound generally becomes warmer, but, at the same time, flatter.
My last advice. I've not read the specifications of your single speakers, but before putting a resistor or a L-Pad network, try to dampen them with a thick pad (1" - 1.5") of acrylic wool or (better) of raw wool, fastening it to the interior of the front panel.
Hi again from Italy

Last edited:
Errata corrige

Hi,
don't be too hasty.
Speakers need some running in. Generally 40-60 hours of work at least.
Last week I've finished a new pair of loudspeakers. At the beginning they were very crisp and rather forward. After a week, they sound now exaggeratedly warm to me. This is because new woofers have surrounds still hard, and they must be softened with use.
I've seen that in your case we have a different situation; anyway, wait a little, before operating.
Another important thing to consider is the place where your box shall be put. Do you have carpets or curtains in the place where you've done the test? Textiles make tones warmer. Something similar happens if you put the boxes near a wall or, even, close to a corner. In this case, sound generally becomes warmer, but, at the same time, flatter.
My last advice. I've not read the specifications of your single speakers, but before putting a resistor or a L-Pad network, try to dampen them with a thick pad (1" - 1.5") of acrylic wool or (better) of raw wool, fastening it to the interior of the front panel.
Hi again from Italy
I've read all the 3d paying more attention... Do not consider my last advice, if your low frequencies are satisfying. The result would be the opposite of what you expect.
Go on with running in stage for some days, then post your second opinion.

I have now filled the speakers with polyester fill and have given them a better temporary seal for testing.

Sounding much better now, still not quite right at low volumes. EQing the treble up a little seems to balance things out, should I just attenuate the woofer with a resistor network?

attachment.php

The horn thing around the tweeter is probably causing lots of issues like resonance, boosting of the upper mids etc contributing the "muddy" sound. It's not nearly shallow enough to work as a waveguide. Try mounting the tweeter on the outside and things should improve alot.

Countersink lapping

The horn thing around the tweeter is probably causing lots of issues like resonance, boosting of the upper mids etc contributing the "muddy" sound. It's not nearly shallow enough to work as a waveguide. Try mounting the tweeter on the outside and things should improve alot.

Samadhi is right!
I forgot yo write it...
You have two chances:
1. Try to sandpaper the countersink around the tweeter, removing the round cuts and widening the external circumference, keeping unchanged the internal diameter. If you feel able about this kind of manual operations, you can try to mold a cone-shaped countersink just like a sort of waveguide. Even if baffle is rather thin, IMHO, this solution wouldn't be so bad, not affecting sound as present situation does; many little neodimium tweeters are shaped so like.
2. On the contrary, mount the tweeter on the external surface, as suggested.

You can immediately try this last solution (#2), just to realize probable sound improvements.
Then, decide what to do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.