2 questions about an MTM design/quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to build my first diy speaker (exited but a little confused and now going round in a circle!). I am considering a MTM design (possibly Dr. K’s MTM). I presently have a MTM floorstander which was originally a Symphony 6 with an extra Audax drive fitted (I do not know what was or wasn’t done with the crossover).
I only have a small/moderate room size (12ft by 12ft) so do not want anything bigger than 7” drives but would preferably like a little extra volume than my 6.5” drives at 89db give me on my amp (Cambridge A5) as I play music on occasion loud. The existing cabinet is the right size for a Dr. K’s MTM so am only planning to remake the front (and vent)
Here are my 2 questions:
1. My budget is limited to about £500 so given my existing speakers sound ok (better than you would imagine given they’ve been messed with) would I notice a DR.K’s design as a LOT better in quality or for all the money and time or only slightly better? (I was hoping for more punchy bass (not deeper boomy) and better dynamic sound etc.

2. Does anyone know of a MTM design with 6.5” or 7” drives that are more efficient for a tweak extra in volume (I can find more efficient drives but with limited knowledge wouldn’t know which tweeter to add and the relevant crossover specs etc.)

If not I will be happy with 89db I just don’t know if there is a better value /quality MTM for my cabinet size(900 x 230 x 240 – any bigger and the cabinet would be far too big for room size)

Any advice more than appreciated at this point.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.