advice on first diy upgrade: Center vs Rear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Posted same stuff in "everything else" with no results, thought i would have morr success in multi-way please bare with me:

------------------------

Hello guys,

i was wondering what should i upgrade first.

i have 2 8" inch Goldwood wooders, and 2 Morel dome tweeters. original thought was two rear speakers to replace my original Sony rears which are full range drivers with very low sensitiviy that can go down to only 90-95hz.

but i have also weak 2 way center speaker which are inferior compared to fronts (3 way towers 40hz) that came with this set. movie speach dialouge seems to be better with phantom mode(center speaker set to Off and speach coming in stereo)

the real question is should i make a center speaker instead, knowing that it is preferable that a center speaker should be matched to the fronts(i.e same as fronts)? or not bother, make rears for now and then when it come to make fronts i do them all the same setup(fronts and center matched).

i play games 70% of the time which has matrixed rear sound as the POV changes.

so i'm at a delimma

Ok thanks for the input.

How much effect would you think for making the center speaker response matched with the fronts response?

Am i over thinking it? I dont even have a dedicated room its a 5.1 system in basicly a 3x5 m room lol

Response matched? meh. Most speakers are designed to be mostly flat anyway, if you have an opportunity to make / build a good center channel that meets or exceeds the performance of your mains, it would probably be great.

I would build a pair of new fronts first. Forget the center and surrounds for now :cool:

Oh i see, now the real hardcore stereo fans are here :D

It is a good idea and then i run into dialoge, construction skill for fronts and money issues... Not that patient for now ;)

Response matched? meh. Most speakers are designed to be mostly flat anyway, if you have an opportunity to make / build a good center channel that meets or exceeds the performance of your mains, it would probably be great.

Perhaps i made a point too early i dont think anyone could build a speaker to match anothers (exact) frequency response lol

Yes flat is the baseline that evry speaker should look up too.

This is why it is importent to ask for advice thank you all

I was going center until i added impedance for two driver per filter( 2 woofers per lpf, 2 tweeters per hpf)

Is 16 ohms that bad? (100 wats per ch.)

More learning curve definatley.

Edit: i guess it depends on the fronts sensitivity compared to the sum sensitivity of two series drivers of higher impedance.

Last edited:
I'd use the exact same speaker (in the center) as you do for the fronts.
I know it is a pain, but it sounds the best.

Then again, when the rears are the same as the fronts, the surround modes don't sound like they are coming out of a tin can.

So ideally you use the exact same speaker for all 5 speakers.

Norman

Oh i see, now the real hardcore stereo fans are here :D

Not at all, in fact i'm big on subs and I plan to do line array surrounds one of these days. :D

I just think that if your stereo mains aren't right, the rest of the system could be the best ever and still be overall poor.

Perhaps i made a point too early i dont think anyone could build a speaker to match anothers (exact) frequency response lol

Voice matching a center takes.. voicing. The same frequency response might not do it. You need similar overall frequency AND power response with similar freedom from resonance. If your center is voice matched to crappy mains, then you have your work cut out you making a sufficiently crappy center that also does voices well.... hence why I think building some nice mains should be your starting point. Maybe the ZA5.5tt kit from Madisound.

Last edited:
Im starting to think about my setup more throughly

This set is my first real set after owning a sound bar for many years, so i wouldn't know how crappy my fronts are untill i get to test another

Yes, It makes sense to start with the mains since the center would be following its footsteps anyway. Its just that its too big of a project for me. The reality is i need a build that is fool proof with the drivers i have. Its a nice kit you proposed btw

And i dont think i can exceed the specification of the mains i have right now.

A rear is the easiest with better impedance (8 ohm) and simple box design(not to mention less surround mix to deal with so less stabbing at overall quality for the system). A center is a step harder for me now we have two transducer in the cuircit per filter. But its worth it.

What i noticed about matching is actually very close to what you say, i spent some time trying to match the centers to my fronts response but it didn't carry over as nicely in the real world. There must be something i missed. I didn't understand the seperate relationship between overall frequency and response in your post? Arent they one and the same? Do you mean overall frequency range and also power? Also resonance seems to be a mechinichal issue but dont you think i can mask it with matching(EQ)?

I will post REW graphs for my fronts and center compared.

Last edited:
here is the graphs,
center EQ on=blue
center EQ off=grey
mains=red:

6dd4b99d6b66de7d73c9c0bebe0b7083c98b9e807080b476d89385c9ccc809036g.jpg

i don't understand how the center has more power although it got some lower sensitivity. Also sorry about the narrow frequency range its because i made these graphs previously when i was focusing only on dialouge not more than 2k frequency is needed

Specs

http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-speakers/sony-ss-mf550h-speaker/1707-7869_7-30468976.html

Attachments

• centervsfrontsgeqon2.jpg
    centervsfrontsgeqon2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.