210 mm dia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a small problem.....

i had a pair of eminence woofers. I was building a cabinet for them. I had just completed the cabient with 7 layers of piano black polish (sanding between layers) etc.. when somehow in transit one of them got damaged in that the cone stopped moving back and forth.

i sent both of them to a local repair shop in mumbai (formerly bombay). when they came back the cone hardly move at all. i noticed that the repair shop had messed up the reapir for some reason they changed almost all the parts, cone, surround, spider, etc.. and now the movement is very stiff (almost like PR driers) and not relaxed as they were before reapirs.

to cut a long story short I am not looking for 2 210mm woofers I can import in India. Vifa's 8" (www.leda.com) is 215mm dia (from their data sheet). sanding an extra 5mm of the cabinet would mean damaging the layers of polish and a very labourious process.

any ideas?

i also made custom grills for them using perforated MS plate (cutting it inot a 230mm cricle and then drawing the center 210mm out and then getting it powder coated). so all this effor will be wasted if i cannot find 2 210mm drivers. rough specs Fs < 40, 1.5 cu. ft. selaed box, Xmax > 10mm linear P-P, doped paper cone.

Navin I came across a similar problem a few years back and I had to increase the diameter of an opening in a finished box.....this is what I did..

clamped a piece of 1/2 in. particle board over the hole and set my circle bore cutter to the required radius and cut through the board and the box ( I had .75" to increase in diameter)....this left me with the my required opening without damaging the finish.

as far as your grills go thats a problem....so maybe for you a different driver is a better way to go if the grills are that important

DIRT®

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
navin said:
hi, i just realised the p-audio also sells stuff in india. any of their stuff you'd recomend?

navin said:
Navin,

I don't have first hand experience with p-audio. I understand their products lean more toward the pro-audio type stuff.

I suggested Adire because they carry Eminence and work closely with them. Maybe they could get your original driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.