Econowave with WAF ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2012, 09:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Econowave with WAF ?

I quite like the thought of Econowave speakers, but i'd never get away with something that big in the house. My current speakers are 10" (250mm) wide x 11" (280mm) deep x 43" (1100mm) high and are just about acceptable to the girlfriend.

I was thinking of using the Emeninence Beta 8A with a side-firing Eminence Basslite CA2010. I dont like ported bass, so I was thinking of giving the Beta 8A the top 10 litres (QTC=0.707 f3=120Hz) of the box and the CA2010 53 litres (QTC=0.707 f3=70Hz). It looks like i'd have to make the box a bit deeper than my current speakers, but I think I should get away with it.

For the tweeter I was thinking of using the B&C DE250 with the RCF H100 horn.

I know they aren't going to produce really deep bass, but with room gain and the slower roll-off or the sealed box, I think the bass will be ok.

Any thoughts ?
Old 1st March 2012, 09:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Some say that women have that 6th sense
It may be translated also to sound reproduction.
They don't want tech talk and obsession , just good sound .
And often , they do like shoe-box cabinets , but that goes against phisycs' laws.
One month ago a woman came to my house ( a friend of my parents ) and , as I've just finished my analogical setup , I made her sit and I put on the turntable a collection of the Rolling Stones . She was so happy ! She never listened to them so good , she said . I believe , I could imagine the sardonic smile of Mike while he's singing . That 's what a sound reproduction system should do : transmit emotions .

I think that you should re-consider the thing : a good hi-fi speaker would do the job much better than the drivers you have considered . Efficiency nowadays isn't an issue ( for amplifiers ) . I've bought some months ago the tiniest compression driver that B&C produces ( BTW they are in my town , Florence ...) , the DE 7 but in a little room like mine they can't really produce the sound they are supposed to.
Old 1st March 2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Account disabled at member's request

All good drivers, though apparently the RCF H100 is not a true constant directivity horn.

These would be better plus they are optimised for the DE250: Fiberglass SEOS-8? - SEOS? Products - Waveguides DIY Sound Group.

Or wait for the cheaper plastic version coming soon if they are over your budget....
Old 1st March 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post

For the tweeter I was thinking of using the B&C DE250 with the RCF H100 horn.

Any thoughts ?
I use the above combo to good effect, the RCF horn matches the DE250 really well. There is minimal compensation. I think you would be very happy with this combo.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post

I know they aren't going to produce really deep bass, but with room gain and the slower roll-off or the sealed box, I think the bass will be ok.

Any thoughts ?
Go active, apply linkwitz transform and you could have any Fb
Old 1st March 2012, 12:24 PM   #6
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

#1 Can't a compromise be made with your gal? I mean crikey we're only talking 1.5-2 cubic feet per cab.. Too many women these days are ruling the nest with the notion that stupid little ipod dock players are to be the maximum for real estate in the home decor department..

#2 Build the deluxe version of the Econowave and maybe she'll appreciate the great sound that by most all accounts is quite stellar..

#3 This waveguide is the better option in the Deluxe EW with the B&C250 from what I've read that's been all worked out by Zilch and Company:
QSC PL-000446GP Replacement Waveguide Horn for HPR152i 245-625

Cheers
Old 1st March 2012, 01:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
I think that you should re-consider the thing : a good hi-fi speaker would do the job much better than the drivers you have considered . Efficiency nowadays isn't an issue ( for amplifiers ) .
That is a slight concern of mine. My current speakers have doped paper cones and sound very vivid and lively. I wouldn't want my new speakers to be too raw or vivid sounding, but if I had to make a choice, i'd prefer that over a too smooth or dull sound.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbler View Post
All good drivers, though apparently the RCF H100 is not a true constant directivity horn.

These would be better plus they are optimised for the DE250: Fiberglass SEOS-8? - SEOS? Products - Waveguides DIY Sound Group.

Or wait for the cheaper plastic version coming soon if they are over your budget....
Looks like a nice horn, but I couldn't find any for sale in the UK and they are pretty expensive.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttan98 View Post
I use the above combo to good effect, the RCF horn matches the DE250 really well. There is minimal compensation. I think you would be very happy with this combo.
Glad to hear it works well with the DE250. It's not too expensive either.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
Go active, apply linkwitz transform and you could have any Fb
Active has never interested me. I like to keep things simple (the girlfriend also hates boxes of electronics and wires) and as cheap as possible. I can see why going active is so popular though...

Hide this!Advertise here!