Econowave with WAF ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I quite like the thought of Econowave speakers, but i'd never get away with something that big in the house. My current speakers are 10" (250mm) wide x 11" (280mm) deep x 43" (1100mm) high and are just about acceptable to the girlfriend.

I was thinking of using the Emeninence Beta 8A with a side-firing Eminence Basslite CA2010. I dont like ported bass, so I was thinking of giving the Beta 8A the top 10 litres (QTC=0.707 f3=120Hz) of the box and the CA2010 53 litres (QTC=0.707 f3=70Hz). It looks like i'd have to make the box a bit deeper than my current speakers, but I think I should get away with it.

For the tweeter I was thinking of using the B&C DE250 with the RCF H100 horn.

I know they aren't going to produce really deep bass, but with room gain and the slower roll-off or the sealed box, I think the bass will be ok.

Any thoughts ?

Some say that women have that 6th sense :rolleyes:
It may be translated also to sound reproduction.
They don't want tech talk and obsession , just good sound .
And often , they do like shoe-box cabinets , but that goes against phisycs' laws.
One month ago a woman came to my house ( a friend of my parents ) and , as I've just finished my analogical setup , I made her sit and I put on the turntable a collection of the Rolling Stones . She was so happy ! She never listened to them so good , she said . I believe , I could imagine the sardonic smile of Mike while he's singing . That 's what a sound reproduction system should do : transmit emotions .

I think that you should re-consider the thing : a good hi-fi speaker would do the job much better than the drivers you have considered . Efficiency nowadays isn't an issue ( for amplifiers ) . I've bought some months ago the tiniest compression driver that B&C produces ( BTW they are in my town , Florence ...) , the DE 7 but in a little room like mine they can't really produce the sound they are supposed to.

#1 Can't a compromise be made with your gal? I mean crikey we're only talking 1.5-2 cubic feet per cab.. Too many women these days are ruling the nest with the notion that stupid little ipod dock players are to be the maximum for real estate in the home decor department..

#2 Build the deluxe version of the Econowave and maybe she'll appreciate the great sound that by most all accounts is quite stellar..

#3 This waveguide is the better option in the Deluxe EW with the B&C250 from what I've read that's been all worked out by Zilch and Company:
QSC PL-000446GP Replacement Waveguide Horn for HPR152i 245-625

Cheers:cool:

I think that you should re-consider the thing : a good hi-fi speaker would do the job much better than the drivers you have considered . Efficiency nowadays isn't an issue ( for amplifiers ) .

That is a slight concern of mine. My current speakers have doped paper cones and sound very vivid and lively. I wouldn't want my new speakers to be too raw or vivid sounding, but if I had to make a choice, i'd prefer that over a too smooth or dull sound.

#1 Can't a compromise be made with your gal? I mean crikey we're only talking 1.5-2 cubic feet per cab.. Too many women these days are ruling the nest with the notion that stupid little ipod dock players are to be the maximum for real estate in the home decor department..

#2 Build the deluxe version of the Econowave and maybe she'll appreciate the great sound that by most all accounts is quite stellar..

#3 This waveguide is the better option in the Deluxe EW with the B&C250 from what I've read that's been all worked out by Zilch and Company:
QSC PL-000446GP Replacement Waveguide Horn for HPR152i 245-625

Cheers:cool:

(1) No she's a witch.

(2) I used to have a nice pair of 10" Tannoy DMT studio monitors in the living room. They were amazing (to my ears) but she hated the looks and was very happy to see them gone.

(3) That horn would have been my first choice if it wasn't so wide (14"). My box is only going to be 10" wide.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
There are other JBL waveguides in the same line as the 6" x 12" from the initial Econowave. I recall there was an 8x8 as well as a 6x6 discussed in the original thread. Plus there was a smaller elliptical dayton waveguide someone used successfully in a KLH 6 or 17 cabinet.

See Zilch's mega Parts Express discussion thread, particularly the "Spitwad," "4x," and "Mini" links.
Flex Your PCD Mettle: - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com
It still saddens me that he's not around anymore. RIP, Zilchster.

There are other JBL waveguides in the same line as the 6" x 12" from the initial Econowave. I recall there was an 8x8 as well as a 6x6 discussed in the original thread. Plus there was a smaller elliptical dayton waveguide someone used successfully in a KLH 6 or 17 cabinet.

See Zilch's mega Parts Express discussion thread, particularly the "Spitwad," "4x," and "Mini" links.
Flex Your PCD Mettle: - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com
It still saddens me that he's not around anymore. RIP, Zilchster.

Just had a quick look and noticed someone used the Eminence Beta 8A in one version of the Econowave mini.

Yes it's a real shame I can't ask the man himself. He seemed like a very helpful chap.

Once heard that the difference between a terrorist and a woman is that you can negotiate with the terrorist :fight:

I will also recommend the SEOS. For drivers my preference would be Radian 475PB when crossed over 2k+. In larger SEOS my experience is that this driver really shines when crossed over high (1,5k+) - in this setup I would therefore choose it over the DE250.

(1) No she's a witch.

(2) I used to have a nice pair of 10" Tannoy DMT studio monitors in the living room. They were amazing (to my ears) but she hated the looks and was very happy to see them gone.

(3) That horn would have been my first choice if it wasn't so wide (14"). My box is only going to be 10" wide.

lol don't let her see #1 :D

A few weeks ago I read that whole Flex thread at Parts Express, plus the Audio Karma Econowave thread.. So much info!, but I skimmed over most everything that wasn't related to the Deluxe version using the QSC WG with the B&C250, and I was also looking for anything I could find Altec related to the 416 etc..

So, lots more reading I'd say to find a smaller Econo that's up to muster..

If your pockets are deep enough you could always get her something sparkly and shiny, if that could allow some Econo Deluxe sized cabs into the living environment :cool:

Or? plan B to push the limits! = Look around and find roughly 4 cubic feet of stuff that she has about the house that you're not really fond of, and tell her it's gotta go! :D

Anyhow good luck with the project, lots of great info to be read on the Econo's..

Once heard that the difference between a terrorist and a woman is that you can negotiate with the terrorist :fight:

:)

I will also recommend the SEOS. For drivers my preference would be Radian 475PB when crossed over 2k+. In larger SEOS my experience is that this driver really shines when crossed over high (1,5k+) - in this setup I would therefore choose it over the DE250.

Can't find the Radian in the UK, but may be worth shipping some in from the USA if they're better than the DE250.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.