Econowave with WAF ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2012, 12:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCan View Post
#1 Can't a compromise be made with your gal? I mean crikey we're only talking 1.5-2 cubic feet per cab.. Too many women these days are ruling the nest with the notion that stupid little ipod dock players are to be the maximum for real estate in the home decor department..

#2 Build the deluxe version of the Econowave and maybe she'll appreciate the great sound that by most all accounts is quite stellar..

#3 This waveguide is the better option in the Deluxe EW with the B&C250 from what I've read that's been all worked out by Zilch and Company:
QSC PL-000446GP Replacement Waveguide Horn for HPR152i 245-625

Cheers
(1) No she's a witch.

(2) I used to have a nice pair of 10" Tannoy DMT studio monitors in the living room. They were amazing (to my ears) but she hated the looks and was very happy to see them gone.

(3) That horn would have been my first choice if it wasn't so wide (14"). My box is only going to be 10" wide.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:58 PM   #12
von Ah is online now von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

There are other JBL waveguides in the same line as the 6" x 12" from the initial Econowave. I recall there was an 8x8 as well as a 6x6 discussed in the original thread. Plus there was a smaller elliptical dayton waveguide someone used successfully in a KLH 6 or 17 cabinet.

See Zilch's mega Parts Express discussion thread, particularly the "Spitwad," "4x," and "Mini" links.
Flex Your PCD Mettle: - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com
It still saddens me that he's not around anymore. RIP, Zilchster.
Old 1st March 2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Flaesh is offline Flaesh  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

my girlfriends definitely like my ib\inwall 15"+2380a
[girfriends like or girlfriend likes.................... sorry my english.. ]..

Last edited by Flaesh; 1st March 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 1st March 2012, 06:29 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by von.ah View Post
There are other JBL waveguides in the same line as the 6" x 12" from the initial Econowave. I recall there was an 8x8 as well as a 6x6 discussed in the original thread. Plus there was a smaller elliptical dayton waveguide someone used successfully in a KLH 6 or 17 cabinet.

See Zilch's mega Parts Express discussion thread, particularly the "Spitwad," "4x," and "Mini" links.
Flex Your PCD Mettle: - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com
It still saddens me that he's not around anymore. RIP, Zilchster.
Just had a quick look and noticed someone used the Eminence Beta 8A in one version of the Econowave mini.

Yes it's a real shame I can't ask the man himself. He seemed like a very helpful chap.
Old 1st March 2012, 06:31 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaesh View Post
my girlfriends definitely like my ib\inwall 15"+2380a
[girfriends like or girlfriend likes.................... sorry my english.. ]..
You're one of the lucky guys
Old 1st March 2012, 07:40 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

How about a SEOS 8: Fiberglass SEOS-8? - Waveguides DIY Sound Group

I think a plastic version for much less $ is coming out.

Then Maybe Eminence Delta for something in the 8" range. Won't make much bass though.

Far from econowave, and I meant it more for HT, but this might have the WAF your looking for and make more bass: System Pictures & Description
Old 1st March 2012, 08:09 PM   #17
Tytte71 is offline Tytte71  Norway
diyAudio Member

Once heard that the difference between a terrorist and a woman is that you can negotiate with the terrorist

I will also recommend the SEOS. For drivers my preference would be Radian 475PB when crossed over 2k+. In larger SEOS my experience is that this driver really shines when crossed over high (1,5k+) - in this setup I would therefore choose it over the DE250.
Old 1st March 2012, 10:39 PM   #18
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
(1) No she's a witch.

(2) I used to have a nice pair of 10" Tannoy DMT studio monitors in the living room. They were amazing (to my ears) but she hated the looks and was very happy to see them gone.

(3) That horn would have been my first choice if it wasn't so wide (14"). My box is only going to be 10" wide.

lol don't let her see #1

A few weeks ago I read that whole Flex thread at Parts Express, plus the Audio Karma Econowave thread.. So much info!, but I skimmed over most everything that wasn't related to the Deluxe version using the QSC WG with the B&C250, and I was also looking for anything I could find Altec related to the 416 etc..

So, lots more reading I'd say to find a smaller Econo that's up to muster..

If your pockets are deep enough you could always get her something sparkly and shiny, if that could allow some Econo Deluxe sized cabs into the living environment

Or? plan B to push the limits! = Look around and find roughly 4 cubic feet of stuff that she has about the house that you're not really fond of, and tell her it's gotta go!

Anyhow good luck with the project, lots of great info to be read on the Econo's..
Old 1st March 2012, 11:27 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
How about a SEOS 8: Fiberglass SEOS-8? - Waveguides DIY Sound Group

I think a plastic version for much less $ is coming out.
Dabbler recommended that one earlier so I guess it may be worth waiting for the plastic one.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:32 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytte71 View Post
Once heard that the difference between a terrorist and a woman is that you can negotiate with the terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytte71 View Post
I will also recommend the SEOS. For drivers my preference would be Radian 475PB when crossed over 2k+. In larger SEOS my experience is that this driver really shines when crossed over high (1,5k+) - in this setup I would therefore choose it over the DE250.
Can't find the Radian in the UK, but may be worth shipping some in from the USA if they're better than the DE250.

Hide this!Advertise here!