Is this really possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm searching for a small woofer (4") to use in multiples
FS=58hz, Sensitivity 92dB. Is that even possible for such
a small driver? Seems too good to be true.

Hi,

I think there is no way you are going to get 92 dB with that single
driver. Personally IMO the more sensitive the speakers are, the
crappier they sound. If I were to build really sensitive speakers,
I'd do it with PA drivers.

see if you like this one , faitalpro from italy

FaitalPRO - Professional Loudspeakers Made in Italy

For me this is a high efficiency midrange:
Fs 180 Hz
Re 7.2 Ohm
Qes 0.59
Qms 2.70
Qts 0.48
Vas 0.93 dm^3 (0.033 ft^3)
Sd 94.3 cm^2 (14.6 in^2)
Mms 8.4 g

perhaps this transducer is helpful:
SPH-75/8
or
SPH-75/4
or
http://www.faitalpro.com/products/schede/fes.php?id=401010100

But I wouldn't expect good results in a very slim multidriver tower in general and also inside the range between 60 and 300 hertz.
If your goal isn't special design and only high efficiency, use the Studio 12L from Fane Acoustics
http://www.fane-acoustics.com/prod_details.aspx?pid=174

Last edited:
Hi,

I think there is no way you are going to get 92 dB with that single
driver. Personally IMO the more sensitive the speakers are, the
crappier they sound. If I were to build really sensitive speakers,
I'd do it with PA drivers.

IMO low sensitivity speakers don't sound as good as high sensitivity.

I don't think it's even possible for a low efficiency speaker to sound as accurate as a comparable high sensitivity speaker. Too much texture is lost to heat.

The high sensitivity must be unmasking flaws in your system.

Some good points. The 5" beyma looks interesting. The reason i want to use multiples is because i know i wont get 92dB from a single driver. Which is why i inquire about this particular one. After baffle step, i expect to use at least two or 3 of them. I don't want to go past 3 if i dont' have to as the impedance drops every time i parallel a driver although my amp probably could handle it. On the plus side, multiple bass drivers will help with the bass. I'm really only interested in getting down to 60-80 hertz with decent SPL as with the size i want to make these i'm not expecting earthquake type bass, nor is it a priority. And also, the reason i only need them up to 300hz is because i'm bent on using the Audax hm100zo for the rest of the midrange which puts out a solid 93db across its usable range. Yeah i know i could just use one type of midbass and a tweeter but that's boring and been done too many times. It's just an idea at this point. But the idea is a 93db small and slim tower (4.5" wide, 5 tops) that's nearly full range.

IMO low sensitivity speakers don't sound as good as high sensitivity.

I don't think it's even possible for a low efficiency speaker to sound as accurate
as a comparable high sensitivity speaker. Too much texture is lost to heat.

The high sensitivity must be unmasking flaws in your system.

Hi,

Simply not the case for small drivers. Lower efficiency with higher xmax
capabiliity has lower distortion at most levels and descent SPL capabilty
is a crucial aspecvt of small drvers, for high efficiency low Xmax drivers
its generally pathetic.

Unless you have a flea powered amplifier its best use use your amps watts.

rgds, sreten.

Some good points. The 5" beyma looks interesting. The reason i want to use multiples is because i know i wont get 92dB from a single driver. Which is why i inquire about this particular one. After baffle step, i expect to use at least two or 3 of them. I don't want to go past 3 if i dont' have to as the impedance drops every time i parallel a driver although my amp probably could handle it. On the plus side, multiple bass drivers will help with the bass. I'm really only interested in getting down to 60-80 hertz with decent SPL as with the size i want to make these i'm not expecting earthquake type bass, nor is it a priority. And also, the reason i only need them up to 300hz is because i'm bent on using the Audax hm100zo for the rest of the midrange which puts out a solid 93db across its usable range. Yeah i know i could just use one type of midbass and a tweeter but that's boring and been done too many times. It's just an idea at this point. But the idea is a 93db small and slim tower (4.5" wide, 5 tops) that's nearly full range.

Hi,

No way in a 5" wide baffle will the Audax put out 93dB @ 300Hz.

Get realistic, due to baffle step if the above is true and you want
some level adjustment your looking at around 87dB/ 2.83V.

Baffle step for 5" wide is ~ over the range

The ancient looking specs I found for the Audax indicate 90dB
and a very strange step down of 3dB from 650Hz to 800Hz.
http://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/hm100c0.pdf

I would assume you have to able to measure it, if you
can you might as well in-box and take it from there.

Simply put a real 93dB tall and slim tower will have serious
consequences the not least of which is very poor max SPL
and the related consequence of very limited power handing.

5" wide boxes have a serious problem with the internal volume
versus external volume ratio, decent bass with efficiency
will be a problem if your using say 3/4" stock MDF.

High efficiency slim towers have been done, but with stereo
subs and a x/o point way above 80Hz to make any sense.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

No way in a 5" wide baffle will the Audax put out 93dB @ 300Hz.

Get realistic, due to baffle step if the above is true and you want
some level adjustment your looking at around 87dB/ 2.83V.

Baffle step for 5" wide is ~ over the range

The ancient looking specs I found for the Audax indicate 90dB
and a very strange step down of 3dB from 650Hz to 800Hz.
http://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/hm100c0.pdf

I would assume you have to able to measure it, if you
can you might as well in-box and take it from there.

Simply put a real 93dB tall and slim tower will have serious
consequences the not least of which is very poor max SPL
and the related consequence of very limited power handing.

5" wide boxes have a serious problem with the internal volume
versus external volume ratio, decent bass with efficiency
will be a problem if your using say 3/4" stock MDF.

High efficiency slim towers have been done, but with stereo
subs and a x/o point way above 80Hz to make any sense.

rgds, sreten.

You are looking at the wrong driver. In my post i refer to hm100zo, the aerogel midrange, not the carbon fiber midbass you reference to. Slight difference. 93db, fs 250 hz, moving mass 2.5 grams. Pretty much the best Mms/Sd ratio i've seen asides from the Veravox7, which happens to have the same ratio right down to the second decimal point weirdly enough, if i remember correctly. Another one i'd like to try but a tad pricey.

Looking at the charts for the Audax, A crossover would be a messy operation at 300hz. Still riding the impedance rise pretty double black diamond at that point. 500hz+ would be easier to negotiate IMO.

Running an 8Ohm load for your mids, and a 2.6Ohm load for your mids, might work fine on paper- but will your amplifier actually operate like a "flat" "voltage source" effectively in the really low impedance ranges of the build? Amplifier impedance and simple things like wire and x-over component resistance are going to effect the uber-low resistance portion of the build more heavily than the higher resistance portion of the build. Some amps are better for these really low impedance loads than others.

Personally, I'd suggest even more mid-bass drivers, (more like 4-8 of them), wired for a higher impedance configuration, and configured with a 0.5 way or multi- 0.5-way low pass filter type arrangement, in order to deal with the baffle step loss and match the audax efficiency. While it might have the appearance of a line source, there would be little to no coupling into a line due to the low pass filters set up lowest at the drivers furthest down the line, and higher as you work your way up.

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.