Tang Band w5-704s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd put this driver in a 21.5L vented inclosure tuned to 43HZ. I will give you much better low end. I would also cross this thing pretty high. its flat out to about 5.5k. Id cross it at about 5k 1st order series to a 28-847S... but thats just me.

BTW where are you going to get the W5-704?

Chris

:edit: I see that nuera has them.

You're right, that alignment would be better, however I already have my enclosures and they are roughly 10-11L (spherical clay pots)

Not sure if I'm better off trying to find a driver that's comfortable in a 10L vented than 10L sealed. Then again, someone mentioned to me that venting a spherical enclosure wasn't a good idea.

69stingray said:
MIT-

Did you use this driver? Did you go ported or sealed?

Zach, you get the award for oldest resurected thread. MIT is probably long gone and moved on with his life. He hasn't posted on this forum in almost 2 years.

I have a pair of these on hand and I'll be testing them soon. I'll have the results on my web page shortly.

I've previously tested them and they looked decent. Here's my measured T/S parameters. We'll see how my current pair compares.

Attachments

• w5-704-ts-1.gif
    w5-704-ts-1.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 414
Frequency response, infinite baffle, 1w,1m.

Note to moderators: What do you think about the ability to resurrect ancient threads like this? It is great to have a history back that far to dig through, but personally I'd disable posting to anything thread more than a year old if it was possible.

Attachments

• w5-704s-fr-1.gif
    w5-704s-fr-1.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 447
THANKS ZAPH!

It is an interesting looking driver, looking forward to your testing results.

I have started the planning for a small bookshelf type speaker for my brother-in-law's bedroom. I am leaning toward ported because I think he would like the sound and the extension of a ported enclosure. If it is sealed, I think it would need an F3 of 80 Hz or so. Just trying to find a driver with some low-end extension and be able to be crossover over to the tweeter between 3-4 kHz. I think this means 4-5" inchers.

P.S.- your site is the best on the net....I can only imagine how much time and enough you put into it.

P.P.S- I was not able to find this thread using the forum's search...I tried ever which way. I found it when I searched for "W5-704" with Google.

Zaph said:
..Note to moderators: What do you think about the ability to resurrect ancient threads like this? It is great to have a history back that far to dig through, but personally I'd disable posting to anything thread more than a year old if it was possible.
No disrepsect to your excellent and abundant contributions to the world of DIYAudio - with that disclaimer out of the way - it's extremely frustrating how prevelant this kind of attitude is, whenever I see people whine :bawling: about "resurecting an old thread" it's so irritating. SO WHAT if a thread is old? The idea that there's something wrong with continuing a thread because it's old strikes me as extraordinarly :clown: foolish. :rolleyes:

...Let's just toss out all the old books in the library while were at it, and heck, how about ditching any "classical" music CDs that's old stuff too, god forbid somebody pops one in my CD player, don't want that outdated music... :rolleyes:

*ugh*

Please, people, have no fear about resurecting old threads, if there's information there you found useful, or something you want to comment about and you're just now seeing it, or whatever, then by all means do so! It might be more interesting than some of the new threads, regardless if someone who had posted earlier is no longer around. :cool:

edit: oh, and yes, thank you for making an excellent website Zaph, it's nice to find a place with recent information regarding finding decent drivers ~ most of the drivers I've liked over the years always get discontinued, like Audax being bought out by Harmon group :dead: sad. And I can't find nice Peerless drivers (other than subs) at Parts Express anymore, so your list is quite helpful.

Classical music is timeless, as are some books. Libraries do throw out old books BTW, mainly non-fiction technical references as they become outdated and replaced with newer and more accurate versions. Forum posts are not timeless, IMHO. They are also technical references, prone to being outdated and inaccurate.

My original statement was really just showing a bit of respect to the original author. Personally, I don't want people replying to messages I posted 4 years ago. My mistake may have been in assuming other posters feel the same way. MITMechE isn't around anymore to say if he minds that we resurrected his old thread.

Anyway, don't assume that I feel strongly about it. In fact I hardly care at all and I wonder why I even made that statement. It's just a minor annoyance to me. Considering all the other major annoyances that make the internet what it is, this is hardly a spec on the radar. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.